Camponotus Journal

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

MorbidBugg

Re: Camponotus Journal

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:56 pm

Just remembered it's July. Ignore my insanity
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

TheRealAntMan

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:57 pm

Thanks. I kept them relatively warm so that might explain the quick development.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

TheRealAntMan

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:17 pm

MorbidBugg wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:17 pm
I love this. Hello camponotus family!

Single camponotus novaeboracenis queen

Either 7 or 8 eggs. (Since last checked July 2nd) can't wait for some growing! Currently in a small test tube will have to coax her into another one hopefully after the Nantics arrive for a bigger water reservoir.very calm and doesn't mind my intrusions much very relaxed.

Oops here's a pic
How’s she going?

antnest8

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:24 pm

any new workers. also last night before turning off the light i looked at my camponotus colony the saxons and guess what! i saw the workers helping an adult worker enclose! they just very slowly lifted her up and out of the cocoon and then took a while grooming her. it took about 15 minuets for the entire process and another 10 minuets just for the new worker the move more than just leg twitches! :lol:
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

TheRealAntMan

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:02 pm

antnest8 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:24 pm
any new workers. also last night before turning off the light i looked at my camponotus colony the saxons and guess what! i saw the workers helping an adult worker enclose! they just very slowly lifted her up and out of the cocoon and then took a while grooming her. it took about 15 minuets for the entire process and another 10 minuets just for the new worker the move more than just leg twitches! :lol:
Currently I now have two nanatics. There’s are 9 or 10 cocoons with one super dark one that will probably eclose tomorrow. Plus I gave them a small fruit fly and a small jumping spider, which they quickly consumed.

antnest8

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:19 pm

camponotus are so fun to care for because they seem the express more character because they are bigger.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

MorbidBugg

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:16 pm

I will be doing a tiny check up tonight I wanted to give her a full week since her first eggs came. It's a wee bit bright in my place at the moment, so after my running around I'll do a quick check in and update thanks for wondering!

Quick edit. I'm also going to look at the orange thing by her eggs in the picture. When I caught her I could swore I saw mites but when I took the pictures they clearly are not on her. So I wanna see if that orangey brown smudge in the picture has moved I don't know what it was and honestly didn't see it in the pictures until today! I can be so blind... I'm sure it is nothing. The last time I did a quick peek she had moved her eggs to the water side of the tube and was not very excited with me so I just let her do her thing.

MorbidBugg

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:40 pm

Okay a quick front note before the update, When I decided to convince my wife to let me get back into ant keeping I was hoping for some new exciting challenges kinda like what Ive seen on AntsCanada (Ive been a guardian of ants on and off my whole life either sadly losing them to escapes, or just simply passing them off to an interested mind to care for when they were outside of my care limits at an early age) anyway enjoy the update as there may be some questions we need to address.

Morbids C. Nova colony update
So as of last week she had 8 eggs she is now upto 14, I'm stoked from the look of the eggs you can tell the ones reaching their time to change, she is still ridiculously relaxed. water is still at 3/5ths full and not too much concern for mold yet, and there was no sign of that brown smudge on the last update, didn't see it,anywhere on the tube, just as I thought it odd I got my camera ready just as she turned around and finally came into focus. and there it was sticking out like a sore thumb, on her middle leg on the joint something there, I took a pic before I lost my best lighting and quickly put her in the dark before I startled and annoyed her, I opened photoshop and tried my best to clear it up but alas... this is the best I could do... if anyone has any tips on a coolpix getting the best possible picture, sadly there is no manual on the camera so I'm forced to use auto setting. anyway pic below.

I'm hoping the mite is not parasitic as its came off before lets just hope its hitching a ride... and doesn't like other animals..

I have two others but they have the same issue unfortunately may upload them still in a bit.. heres hoping!

TheRealAntMan

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:28 pm

Good luck with your queen. Hope the mite isn’t parasitic. Wish I could help but I know nothing about mites.

MorbidBugg

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:01 pm

TheRealAntMan wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:28 pm
Good luck with your queen. Hope the mite isn’t parasitic. Wish I could help but I know nothing about mites.
Thanks, my knowledge on mites is very limited as I know of them but not much about. I DO however have a love of learning about parasites so, I'll see what information there is about them and see what my next move is. Right now sit and wait has been the primary move but hey, perhaps come hibernation assuming the queen isn't bothered by it too much by then the cold may help either kill or put it into a shock and fall off again and I'll be able to extract. But for now I must be researching.