How often to feed test tube workers??

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

katdaily710

How often to feed test tube workers??

Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:42 am

I'm a little confused, and I've filtered through the forums to no avail.

So, I have a queen and two workers, and they accepted the tiny drop of honey I gave them [though only ate it when I wasn't looking, sneaky little things]. Which makes me wonder.

They're accepting food now. How often do I feed them? I don't want to over or under feed them.

This is my first colony so maybe I'm freaking out a little too much but I want everything to be perfect for them ;u;

idahoantgirl

Re: How often to feed test tube workers??

Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:18 pm

You don't need to feed workers until you notice them pulling at the cotton in the test tube. This means they want to go outside and forage. Of course, I don't think your necessarily doing a bad thing by feeding them, just saying you don't have to until the workers want to forage. As to how much to feed them, ants won't overeat. Just feed them as they eat. Once you notice a drop of honey is gone add another. After you have several more workers you can feed them a cricket leg, but definitely don't cram the test tube with food. Also, be careful with bugs. always feed them crickets from a pet store or bait shop that don't have pesticides on them. pesticides will kill your colony. :cry: Never feed your ants bugs from outside (unless you live in an area that you KNOW pesticides are never used.) Hope I helped!
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

katdaily710

Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:39 pm

Well I have them taped to a clean test tube so there isn't really cotton to pull at, but, they ate the tiny drop of honey I gave them and fed the queen, so I'm probably going to give them a little bit now and then.
Thank you for posting though ;u; every bit of advice and perspective helps!

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:38 pm

katdaily710 wrote:Well I have them taped to a clean test tube so there isn't really cotton to pull at, but, they ate the tiny drop of honey I gave them and fed the queen, so I'm probably going to give them a little bit now and then.
Thank you for posting though ;u; every bit of advice and perspective helps!
Advice? Ok.... You don't keep ants, they keep you! :D
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted: