Myrmica, first ant is a male

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

ProfessorMoHnK

Myrmica, first ant is a male

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:55 am

Hello fellow antkeepers,
last autum I cought a Myrmica queen, which I'm quite sure is the common Myrmica Rubra. After a while she layed some eggs, and grew larvae in her setup. It took months for them to mature which confused me a little, and today, when I looked into her tube the first and hatched. And it has wings. It doesn't look remotely like the queen, so I'm quite sure it's a male.
But why? And how? If she wasn't fertilized she can't possibly carry y-chromosoms to birth a male, but if she is, why would she not want sisters to build up a colonie? I'm absolutely confused, please somebodey help me!

Greetings, Moritz

ProfessorMoHnK

Re: Myrmica, first ant is a male

Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:00 am

Should have read some stuff first and then asked, obviously she is unfertilized. But what now? Do I keep her, do I kill her?

antnest8

Re: Myrmica, first ant is a male

Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:33 pm

i don't know ant biology but i found out that the sex deciding chromosomes in ants are like this. queens and workers get two X chromosomes while males get only one X.
Here is a link to the Wikipedia artical
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplodiploidy

for the queen you can chose, she is useless so why keep her, she is going to die if you release her but, she is going to die if you kill her.
keeper of
3 tetremorium queens
2 C. pennsylvanicus
1 C novaeboracensis
1 tapinoma sessile colony
!!And A CREMATOGASTER QUEEN!!