formica delay

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

larynx

formica delay

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:39 pm

could anyone give me some insight as to why my formica sp. queens are the only queens i have that have done absolutely nothing, but sit around in their test tubes?
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: formica delay

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:43 pm

They are waiting on their checks! LoL.

Make sure they are at or around the right temp, undisturbed, and so forth. I have heard some ants can take a while before they feel that the conditions are just right for them.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Gregory2455

Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:23 am

I have two Formica fusca queens who at their height had 5-7 workers. Sadly the summer heat killed the workers off, and now the queens just sit there. I think one has a small bunch of eggs, but both queens are rather inactive. One of them as a matter of fact did not even lay a single egg until 8 months after I caught her- she was at the point where I needed to feed her like a semi-clausteral queen because she burned all her fat reserves from just sitting around for 8 months at the point she got a worker. Formica, like Camponotus also tend to be less comfortable in all plastic or glass setups than other species and I do suggest having test tube alternates for these two genera during founding.

larynx

Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:14 pm

Gregory2455 wrote:I have two Formica fusca queens who at their height had 5-7 workers. Sadly the summer heat killed the workers off, and now the queens just sit there. I think one has a small bunch of eggs, but both queens are rather inactive. One of them as a matter of fact did not even lay a single egg until 8 months after I caught her- she was at the point where I needed to feed her like a semi-clausteral queen because she burned all her fat reserves from just sitting around for 8 months at the point she got a worker. Formica, like Camponotus also tend to be less comfortable in all plastic or glass setups than other species and I do suggest having test tube alternates for these two genera during founding.
what alternatives would you recommend? what works for you?
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Gregory2455

Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:31 pm

larynx wrote:
Gregory2455 wrote:I have two Formica fusca queens who at their height had 5-7 workers. Sadly the summer heat killed the workers off, and now the queens just sit there. I think one has a small bunch of eggs, but both queens are rather inactive. One of them as a matter of fact did not even lay a single egg until 8 months after I caught her- she was at the point where I needed to feed her like a semi-clausteral queen because she burned all her fat reserves from just sitting around for 8 months at the point she got a worker. Formica, like Camponotus also tend to be less comfortable in all plastic or glass setups than other species and I do suggest having test tube alternates for these two genera during founding.
I just let them sit there and still feed them on a regular schedule.

larynx

Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:46 pm

Gregory2455 wrote:
larynx wrote:
I just let them sit there and still feed them on a regular schedule.
oh, i thought you meant an alternative to the test tube setup.... nevermind.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Gregory2455

Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:01 pm

I am working on one, but it also reflects my preferences for any formicarium or setup so it may not be for everyone.

larynx

Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:44 pm

Gregory2455 wrote:I am working on one, but it also reflects my preferences for any formicarium or setup so it may not be for everyone.
do tell.....
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

notmyidea

Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:33 am

Gregory2455 wrote: One of them as a matter of fact did not even lay a single egg until 8 months after I caught her- she was at the point where I needed to feed her like a semi-clausteral queen because she burned all her fat reserves from just sitting around for 8 months at the point she got a worker. Formica, like Camponotus also tend to be less comfortable in all plastic or glass setups than other species and I do suggest having test tube alternates for these two genera during founding.
Well, this makes me feel better. I've had two Formica queens for 2 months now and neither have done anything. I'll hibernate them at the end of the month.