Tube is out of water..

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntViking

Tube is out of water..

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:36 pm

My camponotus sp are going through their water faster then I predicted and they still have another solid 3 months of hibernation left. Any advice on what I should do? At the rate it's been going it'll probably be another week or 2 before I get really worried about it.. I don't think they transfer tubes in the state they're in, but I'm no professional. So any advice would be most apretiated.

MaxGen

Re: Tube is out of water..

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:42 pm

I haven't faced this situation yet, but what if you treated it just like you would when they are not hibernating? Specifically, connect a new tube to the existing tube making sure to leave a gap in the connection method to allow for some air to get in.

If the tube they are in now goes dry, they can move or at least source water from the new tube.

You didn't mention what they are in now, but I'm assuming it is a tube?

AntViking

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:50 pm

MaxGen wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:42 pm
I haven't faced this situation yet, but what if you treated it just like you would when they are not hibernating? Specifically, connect a new tube to the existing tube making sure to leave a gap in the connection method to allow for some air to get in.

If the tube they are in now goes dry, they can move or at least source water from the new tube.

You didn't mention what they are in now, but I'm assuming it is a tube?
Yea sorry they are in a standard tube.

And I can try, but I just assumed it wouldn't work that well. Seeing as how deep into hibernation they are. But I will attempt!

MaxGen

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:28 pm

I think it will work, at the very least, it will help humidify the chamber if the original tube dries out I believe. Just make sure to leave a way for air to circulate.

AntViking

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:55 pm

MaxGen wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:28 pm
I think it will work, at the very least, it will help humidify the chamber if the original tube dries out I believe. Just make sure to leave a way for air to circulate.
yea I have a portal I can use. Thx