Barriers for Fire Ants

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsAreAwesome

Barriers for Fire Ants

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:33 am

I am in need of help. I have some fire ants moving into a terrarium. I put olive oil all round and it worked, for a time. They started getting stuck in it and some were even able to cross it. I tested using rubbing alcohol and baby powder in glass cups. I’ve tried every mixture ratio I can do I think. Currently I put just plain baby powder under the olive oil barrier. Now this does work, except that now my terrarium (and room and nose) are full of baby powder. Just plain baby powder does work fire ants but it’s so messy. Does anybody perhaps have tips on a mixture (perhaps ratio) on rubbing alcohol and baby powder? All the tips I can get on this mixture is much appreciated.

idahoantgirl

Re: Barriers for Fire Ants

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:13 pm

insectaslip ( liquid teflon) is the best way to go for this species. Miley uses it for his solenopsis. Next best is definetly dry Baby powder. This is what I use for my tetramorium. Works a lot better than rubbing alcohol mixed w baby powder.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AntsAreAwesome

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:05 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
insectaslip ( liquid teflon) is the best way to go for this species. Miley uses it for his solenopsis. Next best is definetly dry Baby powder. This is what I use for my tetramorium. Works a lot better than rubbing alcohol mixed w baby powder.
I am considering inestaslip, but some things such as the price, not being able to tell when needed to reapply, and toxicity to humans. I have used dry baby powder before for fire ants, and they never got through. I apply it with a cotton ball.

With that said, please tell me how you apply it without making a HUGE mess.

AntsAreAwesome

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:37 pm

I mean how do I apply dry baby powder without making a mess everywhere.

idahoantgirl

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:09 pm

AntsAreAwesome wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:05 pm
idahoantgirl wrote:
I am considering inestaslip, but some things such as the price, not being able to tell when needed to reapply, and toxicity to humans. I have used dry baby powder before for fire ants, and they never got through. I apply it with a cotton ball.

With that said, please tell me how you apply it without making a HUGE mess.
I also apply with a dry cotton ball. Some does fall the the bottom of the outworld, so I just take a wet rag and go along the bottom of the outworld to pick up the baby powder on the floor of the outworld. Remember you don't need tons of baby powder on the cotton bal. just dip it in a little dish of powder, tap it off, and then dab onto the sides of the outworld. I haven't had a big problem with making a mess.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile