Lasius flavus Tips

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsRomania1999

Lasius flavus Tips

Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:10 pm

Hello guys !

Today I found two queen lasius flavus together under a stone,I put them together in a test tube and they take care of each other
Even so would it be better to separate them ?
My colonies :
lasius niger x3
formica cunicularia
tetramorium sp x2
myrmica sp (founding)

My dream species -- Polyergus rufescens

PTasker15

Re: Lasius flavus Tips

Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:20 pm

Yes.I Use To Love The Idea Of Polygyne Colonies.But I Now Prefer Monigyne.So I Suggest You Separate Them.
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

ClashOwenBash

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:22 pm

L.Flavus often found colonies with multiple queens. However as soon as the first workers start to emerge the queens turn on each other which continues until one queen is left. (And this queen can still be mortally injured which results in the whole colony being doomed!).

So do seperate them if you haven't.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

AntsDakota

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:39 pm

*** SPAM *** wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:22 pm
L.Flavus often found colonies with multiple queens. However as soon as the first workers start to emerge the queens turn on each other which continues until one queen is left. (And this queen can still be mortally injured which results in the whole colony being doomed!).

So do seperate them if you haven't.
My 2 Lasius flavus queens have 1 worker and still haven't fought yet. I think that there is a better chance of the queens not fighting than in say, Tetramorium or Pogonomyrmex.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

ClashOwenBash

Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:54 pm

I did some more reading. Lasius Flavus colonies vary a lot depending on region and local environment. So long as the queens don't have to compete for space they can act polygynic and some wild colonies are polygyne. I think just the two queens will be fine. A friend of mine even kept 5 in a testtube setup with about 20 workers! He said one died suddenly but rest were fine.

So I guess it's up to you.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!