Myrmica queen

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsRomania1999

Myrmica queen

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:45 pm

Hello guys !
I would like to find out if a myrmica queen puts it in a test tube and is not given an outworld can lay eggs.
My colonies :
lasius niger x3
formica cunicularia
tetramorium sp x2
myrmica sp (founding)

My dream species -- Polyergus rufescens

AntViking

Re: Myrmica queen

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:00 pm

I don't see why not. They don't need to forage. Just eat. Although if you end up over stressing her with you manually putting food in her tube, there is of course the risk of her cannabalising her young

AntsRomania1999

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:11 pm

You have keeped this species before ?
My colonies :
lasius niger x3
formica cunicularia
tetramorium sp x2
myrmica sp (founding)

Batspiderfish

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:32 pm

If you do not give your ants a foraging space, then you are denying them the ability to clean up after themselves. All it has to be is a plastic container with a band of talcum.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsRomania1999

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:46 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
If you do not give your ants a foraging space, then you are denying them the ability to clean up after themselves. All it has to be is a plastic container with a band of talcum.
I would like to find out if a myrmica queen puts it in a test tube and is not given an outworld can lay eggs
My colonies :
lasius niger x3
formica cunicularia
tetramorium sp x2
myrmica sp (founding)

hiitsmeiambored

Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:02 am

AntsRomania1999 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:46 pm
Batspiderfish wrote:
I would like to find out if a myrmica queen puts it in a test tube and is not given an outworld can lay eggs
Yes they can lay eggs because they don't need to be fed until they have larvae but it is better to give them an outworld.

Batspiderfish

Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:44 am

As somebody who has raised quite a few Myrmica queens, they should be given a foraging space. A single egg for Myrmica is a pretty large investment of resources, and they will want small, soft-bodied insects to chew on. Most of the time, when I see somebody's young ant colony fail, it's because that person was trying to feed them in a sealed test tube.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsRomania1999

Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:45 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:44 am
As somebody who has raised quite a few Myrmica queens, they should be given a foraging space. A single egg for Myrmica is a pretty large investment of resources, and they will want small, soft-bodied insects to chew on. Most of the time, when I see somebody's young ant colony fail, it's because that person was trying to feed them in a sealed test tube.
I had a foraging area connected with a test tube but with any myrmica queen,I found her dead outside the tube.
I tried several species but they died and I would not want to try the same
It is the first time I try to found semi cluastral species, you have some advice ?
My colonies :
lasius niger x3
formica cunicularia
tetramorium sp x2
myrmica sp (founding)