Test tube help

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Meyaart

Test tube help

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:53 pm

I have had a test tube setup for 3 months now and water is very low and there is mold in half the cotton but only on the water side (none on the surface area). I have taped and attached a new setup to it but the ants just wont move. Can someone please someone please tell me what to do or how to make a better setup in the future?

TippyDisc911

Re: Test tube help

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:23 pm

There is nothing you need to change, if you want the water to move to the other side of the cotton just very very slowly move the test tube in the other direction until it turns over, the mold is fine unless the entire cotton is molded, the water will be fine but if the water completely runs out than I highly suggest moving them to a new setup, the way to move them to a new setup is by (at least what I do) is have another test tube ready, open both, put them around 2cm apart and put cotton surrounding it, tape on part of the cotton so it doesn't move, cover the new test tube with something, expose the old one to some light I suggest a lamp. And it will take from 30mins-4 hours on average it should look like this

https://m.imgur.com/ZzUuuvH,67qP3p0
Keeping:
Formica subsericea: 10 workers
Tetramourium Immigrans: 12 workers
solenopsis molesta: 25-30 workers

"The ant's a centaur in his dragon world"-Ezra Pound

Dream species: Atta Texana