I need some advice really quickly.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Jadeninja9

Re: I need some advice really quickly.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:31 am

Serafine wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:41 pm
Never force ants to move anywhere. Offer new nest space and let the ants move on their own.
If you try to force them they will often eat their eggs and larvae or generally do bad because they're not ready for a nest.

My Camponotus spent over 8 months in a large test tube while they grow from 4 to about 70 workers. When the tube finally ran dry (it actually flooded when the cotton collapsed) they first piled their brood in the outworld and two days later moved to the nest where they just produced an enormous amout of new tiny larvae (about 80 or so).

You will notive that when they're ready they all congregate towards the entrance, including the queen and ants carrying eggs.
They did congregate to the entrance. But every time I fed them they freaked out and moved everything back in the tube. They did this multiple times. Not anymore though. Now I think they're either too scared to move out or found a way to fix their mold problem.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Jadeninja9

Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:33 am

This was like 2-3 weeks ago
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Jadeninja9

Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:35 am

Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

KSkuroooari

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:07 pm

So ... first off, thanks Jadeninja9 for letting me piggyback on to your thread. 😅

Secondly, Queen #2 has completely moved her brood into the tubing that connects the test tube to the outworld. Any thoughts on why they did this? Should I take this as an opportunity to switch her current test tube with a fresher one?

Thanks.

Serafine

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:21 am

KSkuroooari wrote:
Secondly, Queen #2 has completely moved her brood into the tubing that connects the test tube to the outworld. Any thoughts on why they did this?
They usually do this because the tubing has better conditions, most of the time because it is drier (and probably warmer as well).
KSkuroooari wrote:
Should I take this as an opportunity to switch her current test tube with a fresher one?
If it doesn't disturb her too much or if the tube looks very mold you can do that.

KSkuroooari

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:47 pm

Serafine wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:21 am
KSkuroooari wrote:
Secondly, Queen #2 has completely moved her brood into the tubing that connects the test tube to the outworld. Any thoughts on why they did this?
They usually do this because the tubing has better conditions, most of the time because it is drier (and probably warmer as well).
KSkuroooari wrote:
Should I take this as an opportunity to switch her current test tube with a fresher one?
If it doesn't disturb her too much or if the tube looks very mold you can do that.
Thanks. We will continue to just wait and see. This morning she was standing on the threshold between both the tubing and the test tube. And the cotton, albeit yellowing and that there's a mealworm carcass tangled in it, isn't at a point of being completely worrisome.