Release my colony and watch them in my backyard
29%
Thin out the workers and keep the queen for years
71%

Total votes: 7

idahoantgirl

Vote! Release, or keep?

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:41 pm

Hi guys! I have a really healthy colony of Tetramorium (filling 3/4 of my hybrid ) and I will soon be faced with a dilemma. I am not interested in keeping a colony larger than one nest full, so I think that I could release them come this spring when they get too large for my hybrid. I could then reuse my hybrid for another species. I could release them in my backyard near a rock, and watch and feed them to see how it turns out. But, at the same time, They are my first successful colony, and I was thinking... Wouldn't it be cool to keep the queen for 15 + years? I could thin out the workers, and even at some point take the colony size down to just her in a tube again, and I could have her years from now!
Please take the time to vote! Thanks!
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Jadeninja9

Re: Vote! Release, or keep?

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:05 pm

Why don't you just lower the temperature and feed them less? Get the birthrate to match the deathrate ya know?
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

idahoantgirl

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:48 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Why don't you just lower the temperature and feed them less? Get the birthrate to match the deathrate ya know?
I keep them in my room, and I like my room's warmness, so... yeah. No go.

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

Jadeninja9

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:49 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Jadeninja9 wrote:
Can you still do it with just feeding less?
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Batspiderfish

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:10 am

Much better to find somebody else to give them to, since releasing colonies can be a vector for spreading disease to wild populations (as has been the case with other kinds of pet).

Also, queens become dependent on their workers after a time, both behaviorally and physiologically. Your Tetramorium queen will be producing many eggs a week at some point, and she can't exactly slow this process down to meet the resource-scarce periods of colony founding (which she will already have lost her wing muscle reserves to complete).
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

idahoantgirl

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:49 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:10 am
Much better to find somebody else to give them to, since releasing colonies can be a vector for spreading disease to wild populations (as has been the case with other kinds of pet).

Also, queens become dependent on their workers after a time, both behaviorally and physiologically. Your Tetramorium queen will be producing many eggs a week at some point, and she can't exactly slow this process down to meet the resource-scarce periods of colony founding (which she will already have lost her wing muscle reserves to complete).
Yeah... in Idaho where I live ant keepers are few and far between.( and all my freinds think I'm nuts so none of them will take them.) Also I intend on keeping my hybrid. I'll think about what I should do.

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

Cartil

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:38 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Jadeninja9 wrote:
I wonder if they would be a way for you to lower the temperature of the colony without lowering the temperature of your entire room. Place them near the window in the winter, blow the fan on the formicarium (not the outworld) in the summer. You could even put some ice near the formicarium to reduce the temperature!

idahoantgirl

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:39 pm

Cartil wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:
Jadeninja9 wrote:
I wonder if they would be a way for you to lower the temperature of the colony without lowering the temperature of your entire room. Place them near the window in the winter, blow the fan on the formicarium (not the outworld) in the summer. You could even put some ice near the formicarium to reduce the temperature!
hmmm. I will have to think about it. I think if it got to be that much work I would just rather release them. Good ideas though!

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

Cartil

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:53 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:39 pm
Cartil wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:

hmmm. I will have to think about it. I think if it got to be that much work I would just rather release them. Good ideas though!
Otherwise, the temperature on the floor of your room is probably one or even two degrees lower than on top of a desk (if that is where you have them at the moment).