camponotus queens living space too small?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Onejustizn

camponotus queens living space too small?

Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:17 am

Hello all!
I have two camponotus queens that are currently in a test tube set up. But I'm not sure if the tubes are too small for them. It seems like they have to shuffle a little bit to get turned around. Will this be a problem for them? If it is a problem, will they move their eggs to a bigger tube if given the chance. They seem to be quite healthy and I really don't want to cause them any stress moving or having them too confined.

Serafine

Re: camponotus queens living space too small?

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:34 am

Usually that's not an issue. If you want you can offer them a larger tube. Just put a straw between the cotton and the glass so the queen can move from one tube to the other. She probably won't move though before she has her first workers.

(My Camponotus moved into a 30x200mm test tube with 4 workers and are still living in it after growing to about 45 workers over a time of 6 months).

AceCadet

Re: camponotus queens living space too small?

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:53 pm

I'd recommend a larger tube or seeing if she will willingly move into an alternate set up if your worried. You can get larger glass test tubes from craft stores that work great. I got one with an inch diameter to allow my Camponotus greater comfort. My last Camponotus lived in a much smaller testtube and I worry that's why she never made it through colony founding but who knows.