Queen dying?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsAreAwesome

Re: Queen dying?

Mon May 01, 2017 4:51 pm

Martialis wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 9:22 am
This queen does sound like it is dying. Both of my Camponotus queens went through a similar process. You might look around the queen and see how she's doing.

Fertility and mated status likely have nothing to do with this.
Perhaps, but I had a queen before that did such a thing and she died after a while. She still had one wing (which could mean nothing but worth mentioning) and she never laid an egg.

Martialis

Mon May 01, 2017 5:34 pm

AntsAreAwesome wrote:
Martialis wrote:
This queen does sound like it is dying. Both of my Camponotus queens went through a similar process. You might look around the queen and see how she's doing.

Perhaps, but I had a queen before that did such a thing and she died after a while. She still had one wing (which could mean nothing but worth mentioning) and she never laid an egg.
One of my Camponotus queens had somewhat large larvae when she died, going through this process. It has nothing to do with this.
Keeper of

Selliing:

AntsAreAwesome

Mon May 01, 2017 9:53 pm

Martialis wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 5:34 pm
AntsAreAwesome wrote:
Martialis wrote:

One of my Camponotus queens had somewhat large larvae when she died, going through this process. It has nothing to do with this.
Yes, but she still could have not mated or not been fertile. It doesn't really matter, the point is she is probably going to die.

Martialis

Mon May 01, 2017 10:13 pm

AntsAreAwesome wrote:

Yes, but she still could have not mated or not been fertile. It doesn't really matter, the point is she is probably going to die.
Yep. Could/could not have been. What I'm saying is that just because they die doesn't mean they're infertile.
Keeper of

Selliing:

AntsAreAwesome

Mon May 01, 2017 10:45 pm

Martialis wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 10:13 pm
AntsAreAwesome wrote:

Yep. Could/could not have been. What I'm saying is that just because they die doesn't mean they're infertile.
Which is probably a good thing because think how many more ants there would be if every mated queen survived and made a colony! :shock:

Pineapple

Tue May 02, 2017 6:58 am

I gave her a piece of soft candy and she seems to be acting better now.

Pineapple

Fri May 05, 2017 5:09 pm

She died 2 days ago :( :(