I think I screwed up today :(

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Cale3459

I think I screwed up today :(

Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:08 pm

Alright guys it pains me to post this but I had an incident with a wild colony today while doing yard work. I was moving some boards to do some landscaping and disturbed this colony of what I believe to be Camponotus of some sort (feel free to correct me). As with my other colony they were going to be wiped out by the landscaping I am doing so I quickly grabbed a jar in case I saw the queen and sure enough there she was. The problem is that it looks like when I moved the board I injured her somehow and her gaster is turned. I don't have much hope for her surviving but I figured I would reach out to the group and see what you thought. After checking on her again it looks like her gaster has started to turn back around so maybe she will be ok, maybe not. Just hoping for some feedback from others on what they think. I always hate disturbing a colony and it really sucks that I hurt this queen. Really hoping she will pull through.

Phoenix

Re: Ah Crap

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:00 pm

Jeez, never witnessed that occurring before.
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

Cale3459

Re: Ah Crap

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:08 pm

Phoenix wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:00 pm
Jeez, never witnessed that occurring before.
Me neither. Five hours later and she's still alive at least. Just got them transferred to a hybrid nest, which they seem very happy with. They are all currently swarming the queen to where I can't see her under them all. I saw her briefly in the outworld before they pulled her down into the nest. Still hoping she will make it but only time will tell.

Batspiderfish

Re: I think I screwed up today :(

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:15 pm

Looks like C. chromaiodes, a very pretty species. Too bad about the queen -- I don't think she is going to make it. She might live for a while, but it is doubtful she is in pain.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Cale3459

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:24 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:15 pm
Looks like C. chromaiodes, a very pretty species. Too bad about the queen -- I don't think she is going to make it. She might live for a while, but it is doubtful she is in pain.
I figured as much. I'll keep them as long as she lives and we will just see what happens. I wasn't expecting a colony there when I was moving the boards.

Cale3459

Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:50 pm

As of right now she is still alive. The colony took every bit of fruit that I put in the outworld overnight.

Antlover

Mon May 01, 2017 7:45 pm

Is she still alive?

Cale3459

Mon May 01, 2017 8:46 pm

Antlover wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 7:45 pm
Is she still alive?
No she didn't make it unfortunately. The silver lining is the colony would have been destroyed by our bulldozer anyway, but it doesn't really make it better. I had high hopes she would make it, but it just wasn't meant to be.

Antlover

Tue May 02, 2017 2:42 pm

Aww sad to see a beatiful species die but I gues your right