lasius umbratus Care

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Dinofroz4

lasius umbratus Care

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:39 pm

Can you give information about this spisece and tell where to get Lasius Neoniger

Aaronantl

Re: lasius umbratus Care

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:09 am

This is a harder species to keep because it is a parasitic queen. I guess you could try to get an existing colony of Lasius Niger or Neoniger and get a few workers from there and then hibernate them and the queen and hope for the best. That is probably the first step in taking care of Lasius Umbratus.

Batspiderfish

Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:00 am

http://www.formiculture.com/topic/3252-much-ado-about-the-founding-of-lasius-temporary-social-parasites/

I've written a guide about founding Lasius parasites. The basic principle is that you want to use host workers that are as young as possible. Once a L. umbratus queen is established, she enjoys the same conditions that other Lasius do. Lasius alienus and Lasius pallitarsis can be found in woodlands. Lasius neoniger is abundant in partially human-settled and open field habitats across the US. I've always used Lasius alienus or something from the flavus group.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:49 am

The species name is never capitalized, fyi.

Lasius (genus) neoniger (species)
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.