moving queen from test tube to fresh test tube

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

ANTmanSCoT

moving queen from test tube to fresh test tube

Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:08 pm

hi there guys im a total new ant keeper have just recieved my starting colony and looking to tranfere the colony into a new test tube as the one the ants were sent in flooded slightly and has no water behind the cotton so need to refresh that now my plan is to have one test tube dark and use light to try and get the queen to move out of the partially flooded one to fresh new test tube my question is will the queen take the brood i know its an obvious question and its probably yes but you dont know until you ask also is there any other suggestions on moving them would be helpfull thanks in advance also there is a nanotic aswell will she move with the colony just dont want to leave anything to chance getting nervous dont wanna do something stupid to kill the colony

Martialis

Re: moving queen from test tube to fresh test tube

Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:29 pm

It sounds good. Just don't let the light be too direct.
Keeper of

Selliing:

shaky33

Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:46 am

Usually the nanitic will scout out the new test tube and if it sees it as a suitable home it will begin moving brood. That does not mean the queen will move instantly though. Usually the queen is quite stubborn and won't move. What species are these queens?
- Rhytidoponera metallica
- Camponotus consobrinus x2
- **** sp.
- Nylanderia sp.
- Melaphorus sp.
- Camponotus cairns
- Crematogaster sp.
- Colobopsis sp.
- Myrmecia nigrocinta
- Iridomyrmex purpureus
- Camponotus eastwoodi

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:25 pm

Depending on how many nantics you have if they find that the new tube is a much better place they will force the queen to move. They will pull her by her antenna, legs and such so don't be alarmed if you see them doing so.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

ANTmanSCoT

Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:31 pm

hi guys little update tried all day today to get her to move to a new tube shes having none of it i have one nanotic or had one i think she pissed the queen off and got ate so what ive done is added a piece of plastic tube into the end of the test tube with a water supply hopefully if the queen is thirsty enogh she will go get it on an up note she has layed more brood and i noticed earlier when i attached the other tube the brood was stuck to the roof of tube moved too i assumed the nanotic moved i to the new tube but i check double checked and tripple checked the tube and no brood or nanotic so im guessing the brood is moved closer to the queen its hard to see the nanotic due to a small amount of mold hence trying to get her to move if it get any worce i will force move her with a pick and try saving what brood i can id rather loose a few brood than the queen ive been quickly checking to see if i can spot the nanotic as i havent seen her all day but trying not to disturb the queen so after all the upset of the nest today il leave her a few days before i check on her let her get some queen time before i consider my next action