Forced Migration in Full Action

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

VISilt

Forced Migration in Full Action

Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:05 pm

Over the last 2 weeks I posted multiple things on reddit and here because I suddenly became an ant keeper (less helpful than hoped). I found a rouge queen 2 weeks ago and released her with 40 workers yesterday, all of which I gathered from my local forest terrarium and put them into a dedicated enclosure. The ant behaviour seemed unusual, I especially noted the social carrying they did (verified that both where alive) without any sense of purpose, just aimlessly walking around. Today I found the exact place on which the ants initially came in on last summer. It was a spherical object (hollow nut or so) that was stuck to the moss (so obvious in hindsight). I cut a small hole and dozens of ants came swarming out, so the queen should have ~100 workers now, possibly a second or third queen as I believe they are Myrmica (rubra) ants.
I am new to this, but I think the recent addition to the colony should give them a sense of purpose as they now have their brute and nest back. I never heard of ants using such a space for a nest, I know they don't all tunnel, but I thought the alternative was wood and leaves, not whatever that is. Its also the first time I got a sting from those ants and it was a lot milder than I thought. Anyways, for one I just am happy as it feels I solved the misery driving me nuts for many months just thinking "where do they keep coming from". But I am wondering how they will use the space they have (25 x 15 cm). I have heard they have satellite nests, many queens, are opportunistic and don't mind migrating. Right now they have a moist enclosure with a slight gradient, 18°, shadow for the most part and a small buffet. I thought the same yesterday (then the ants behaviour convinced me of the contrary), but I believe right now its up to the ants to make this a thriving colony, at least for the next few days. Since nothing in this colony starting process went anything like in the tutorials, I am very unsure what I can and should do, besides keeping a close eye on moisture and mould.

Please do give me advice or tell me what I did right or wrong