Queen Ant Died

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Bandit

Queen Ant Died

Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:18 pm

I was very excited as my Queen Ant had laid eggs and was doing so well. She then all of a sudden died today. I checked on her this morning, carefully and away from light. I cannot figure out what happened and I feel so bad. I feel very sad actually and I know people will understand in this forum how it feels. I can't see anything that went wrong. My question is, what do I do with the brood? I feel bad for the brood and I am not sure if I should put it outside where I think some colonies of the same type are, in hopes that some ants will find it and take it? This has been a disappointing first start. :cry:

Antloverhuman

Re: Queen Ant Died

Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:48 am

Do you know what species your queen was? If so you should give the brood to another wild colony of the same species
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

antperson24

Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:51 am

A wild colony of the same species might accept the brood. Was the queen from the genus Solenopsis? If so, don't feel bad; they die for no reason with everyone.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

Bandit

Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:09 pm

Thank you, I am not sure the species. I am new to all of this and the forum. Is there a spot I can post a pic for identification?

I waited to clean out the tube until I got some advice today but she seems slightly alive after all. Slightly, not very. She is not moving but I saw her antennae moving a bit this morning. I just checked again and she still appears dead, but I tapped on the tube (only because she seems dead, I know not to disturb her normally in this way) and she is slightly moving, but hanging on by a thread. I can't figure out what is wrong. She clearly is dying so hopefully I can figure out what she needs and how to save her. I couldn't believe it when her antennae moved and was so happy, but feeling sad again as she has not improved.

Bandit

Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:35 pm

I think it is a Black Crazy Ant.

Bandit

Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:19 pm

She didn't make it. I could not figure out how to save her. She had water in the test tube with the cotton ball, I fed her a drop or two of sugar water, and a piece of fish food. I feel so bad. Does anyone have any insights? I will put her brood with an area outside that I think are her same species (I am pretty sure she is a Black Crazy Ant). Thanks :cry:

antperson24

Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:23 am

Sorry to hear she died. :( You can ask for an id request here: https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewforum.php?f=48 Her death was likely none of your doing; sometimes queens just die.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:15 am

Bandit wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:19 pm
She didn't make it. I could not figure out how to save her. She had water in the test tube with the cotton ball, I fed her a drop or two of sugar water, and a piece of fish food. I feel so bad. Does anyone have any insights? I will put her brood with an area outside that I think are her same species (I am pretty sure she is a Black Crazy Ant). Thanks :cry:
BCA rarely make it founding from a single queen. It’s not really their primary form of reproduction
When you accidentally reply to yourself…