Digging up atta colony from backyard

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Antwan

Digging up atta colony from backyard

Mon May 15, 2023 1:50 pm

I have found what I believe is an atta leafcutter colony in my backyard, still in the founding stages. I have a suitable setup for them and would like to collect them from the ground and keep the colony, but I do not know how to go about doing so. Any tips?

antperson24

Re: Digging up atta colony from backyard

Mon May 15, 2023 7:50 pm

Antwan wrote:
I have found what I believe is an atta leafcutter colony in my backyard, still in the founding stages. I have a suitable setup for them and would like to collect them from the ground and keep the colony, but I do not know how to go about doing so. Any tips?
Personally I don't recommend doing this, as it is easy to kill the queen. But if your going to do it; dig in a wide circle around the nest, then gently place any soil that seems to have ants in it in a large container. After that you will have to find some way of transferring them to their new home.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Digging up atta colony from backyard

Sat May 27, 2023 11:29 am

Antwan wrote:
If you notice the colony they are definitely not founding

Good luck getting swarmed by them lmao. Atta is annoying to dig up just because of the fungus and swarming behaviors. Just catch a queen
When you accidentally reply to yourself…