Could this be a Camponotus major??

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

HaydenP

Could this be a Camponotus major??

Fri May 05, 2023 12:58 pm

Hello everyone!

I was feeding my ants (Camponotus Pennsylvanicus) today when I noticed (what I think is) a larva in my out world portion that is significantly bigger than the other larvae that I have seen. (I’m not sure why they moved most of the brood that aren’t in the egg stage up to the top) Could this be my first major for the colony?

For reference, I caught the Queen about a year ago and the noticed the first workers last August. They seem to be doing pretty good. There are exactly 20 workers in the enclosure with a good amount more in the pupal stage.

Here is a link to the Imgur post, but if it does not work for any reason, please let me know!
https://imgur.com/a/cJi5nTX

In the pictures, you can see one larva that is large when compared to the other ones.

Thanks!
Founding:
Camponotus pennsylvanicus

antperson24

Re: Could this be a Camponotus major??

Mon May 08, 2023 12:37 pm

HaydenP wrote:
Hello everyone!

I was feeding my ants (Camponotus Pennsylvanicus) today when I noticed (what I think is) a larva in my out world portion that is significantly bigger than the other larvae that I have seen. (I’m not sure why they moved most of the brood that aren’t in the egg stage up to the top) Could this be my first major for the colony?

For reference, I caught the Queen about a year ago and the noticed the first workers last August. They seem to be doing pretty good. There are exactly 20 workers in the enclosure with a good amount more in the pupal stage.

Here is a link to the Imgur post, but if it does not work for any reason, please let me know!

In the pictures, you can see one larva that is large when compared to the other ones.

Thanks!
Yes, the larva is probably the first major! You probably have the nest too moist and that's why they moved the brood. Just water them less often. ;)
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

HaydenP

Re: Could this be a Camponotus major??

Mon May 08, 2023 2:52 pm

antperson24 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:37 pm
HaydenP wrote:
Hello everyone!

Thanks!
Yes, the larva is probably the first major! You probably have the nest too moist and that's why they moved the brood. Just water them less often. ;)
Ahhhh that make a lot of sense. I recently filled up the nest mate and about a third leaked out because I didn’t use the plunger before putting it in. I appreciate the advice! And thank you, I will be waiting to see if a major actually comes out :D
Founding:
Camponotus pennsylvanicus