Queen won't lay eggs and just sits.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

NolanGiesbrecht

Queen won't lay eggs and just sits.

Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:15 pm

My Camponotus queen just sits in the entrance to the test tube. She won't move in or lay eggs she just sits. Its a small colony and the 5 workers have been slowly dying out. There's only 2 left and no brood that I can see. What am I doing wrong? I did recently put a microfeeder with byformica nectar in it. Would that be it?

antperson24

Re: Queen won't lay eggs and just sits.

Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:57 pm

NolanGiesbrecht wrote:
My Camponotus queen just sits in the entrance to the test tube. She won't move in or lay eggs she just sits. Its a small colony and the 5 workers have been slowly dying out. There's only 2 left and no brood that I can see. What am I doing wrong? I did recently put a microfeeder with byformica nectar in it. Would that be it?
Camponotus queens take breaks between laying batches of eggs, just wait, and she should start laying eggs again. Also make sure you give them a protein source in the for of feeder insects.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

NolanGiesbrecht

Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:51 am

I've put some fruit flies in there but they won't touch them

antperson24

Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:29 am

antperson24 wrote:
NolanGiesbrecht wrote:
Camponotus queens take breaks between laying batches of eggs, just wait, and she should start laying eggs again. Also make sure you give them a protein source in the for of feeder insects.
Then just wait, as Camponotus grows really slowly.

AntsAreCool715

Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:34 am

antperson24 wrote:
antperson24 wrote:
NolanGiesbrecht wrote:
My Camponotus species are also doing the same thing. There used to be a lot of workers but now there's only 3-4 left. I had tried to feed them honey but they refused to eat it and they dumped a dead cockroach I gave them into the honey. Their gasters (even the queen) are all thin, what am I doing wrong. I understand if the ants have no brood and I would have to wait, but my ants are not eating at all, and are all slowly dying! What should I do??
I have found more queens!
-Polyrhachis laevissima (left only queen)
-Pheidole parva (TOO MUCH)
-Iridomyrmex Anceps
-Polyrhachis dives
Hope to catch camponotus soon...

antperson24

Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:23 am

AntsAreCool715 wrote:
antperson24 wrote:
antperson24 wrote:

My Camponotus species are also doing the same thing. There used to be a lot of workers but now there's only 3-4 left. I had tried to feed them honey but they refused to eat it and they dumped a dead cockroach I gave them into the honey. Their gasters (even the queen) are all thin, what am I doing wrong. I understand if the ants have no brood and I would have to wait, but my ants are not eating at all, and are all slowly dying! What should I do??
First, remove all the food. Then, in about a week, try feeding them a very small drop of honey.

AntsAreCool715

Tue May 09, 2023 6:40 am

antperson24 wrote:
AntsAreCool715 wrote:
antperson24 wrote:

First, remove all the food. Then, in about a week, try feeding them a very small drop of honey.
If I remove all the food, won't they start to starve and die out? I really don't want to risk certain death to the colony, especially now there's only 4 workers and some tiny brood to be cared for.
-Iridomyrmex Anceps
-Polyrhachis dives

antperson24

Tue May 09, 2023 8:01 am

AntsAreCool715 wrote:
antperson24 wrote:
AntsAreCool715 wrote:

If I remove all the food, won't they start to starve and die out? I really don't want to risk certain death to the colony, especially now there's only 4 workers and some tiny brood to be cared for.
Do they have full social stomachs? If so, they can go about 3 weeks on them, but don't wait that long. Try using sugar water, some of my Camponotus colonies will only eat that.

AntsAreCool715

Mon May 15, 2023 9:11 am

antperson24 wrote:
AntsAreCool715 wrote:
antperson24 wrote:

Do they have full social stomachs? If so, they can go about 3 weeks on them, but don't wait that long. Try using sugar water, some of my Camponotus colonies will only eat that.
As far as I know, the'r stomachs, whether social or not, are empty. It used to be very fat but now it's empty. I gave them sugar water, but they don't touch it. I put some sugar into a little water, and it tasted sweet to me, but the ants to drink it, or DO they drink it at night but don't show at the abdomen I don't know. How are they still surviving.
-Iridomyrmex Anceps
-Polyrhachis dives

antperson24

Mon May 15, 2023 12:10 pm

AntsAreCool715 wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 9:11 am
antperson24 wrote:
AntsAreCool715 wrote:

As far as I know, the'r stomachs, whether social or not, are empty. It used to be very fat but now it's empty. I gave them sugar water, but they don't touch it. I put some sugar into a little water, and it tasted sweet to me, but the ants to drink it, or DO they drink it at night but don't show at the abdomen I don't know. How are they still surviving.
If they are hungry they will drink sugar water. They wont let themselves starve. Just give them fresh sugar water once a week.