Easy/Fun way to safely catch an established Queen!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

antagonbosk

Easy/Fun way to safely catch an established Queen!

Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:35 pm

This has been a proven way for me for decades. Works for many species, especially field and pav't ants. Does not work for wood ants (Camponotus). This method is best during the early spring:

Locate a nest - look for the ant activity of workers coming up, mounds, tunnel openings, etc. Clear out any grass, maybe indent the ground a little to create pockets. Then gently place a flat rock over the nest. Rock must be flat and around 8" in diameter or so depending on size of nest (sometimes I use 2 rocks placed next to each other). If you do not have landscaping or field rocks to use, go visit a creek or lowes/home depot.

Then wait a few days. Best time is when its early spring and a little chilly (doesn't work in summer heat). When the spring sun feels good to you, it feels good to the ants, and the queen will make her way up to the warmth under the rock you placed.

Then the fun part - once the rock has had some sun exposure, lift rock and look for the big pretty Lady.... You have to be fast. It helps if you take a bucket or container to quickly place the rock (upside down) into. Search the ground first, maybe block tunnel openings by pushing them in. Then search your container. Grab ants and eggs after you have her (or multiple queens) - I typically use a large plastic bottle with vaseline around the top to help with control. Then use a tube to introduce/connect to a new ant formicarium. They will quickly move into their new home if you keep their new nest dark at first.

If you miss her, replace the rock and give it a few more days to try again on a sunny day. Trust me, the queen will rise up for that early spring sunshine :D .

Antagon

AM1C39

Re: Easy/Fun way to safely catch an established Queen!

Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:43 pm

Well that's one way to catch a wild colony! I have never really thought about something like this, but you have come up with a neat technique. Something else that will help with catching them is aspiration collection. I can say from expiriense; they are easy to make and they are insanelly simple and eficient. Here's a link https://youtu.be/9ztZW5-Elo4.
You do you and keep it safe!
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

antagonbosk

Re: Easy/Fun way to safely catch an established Queen!

Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:39 pm

I like the idea of aspiration collection. Never really thought of that. But I do enjoy grabbing the ants up by hand - nature's therapy for me, and I seem to have a skill for it.

Antagon