Question about test tube + outworld for new green-headed ant queen (Rhytidoponera metallica)

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

DonKom

Question about test tube + outworld for new green-headed ant queen (Rhytidoponera metallica)

Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:46 am

Hello everyone! First post here, hoping that someone can help out.

I have decided to start an ant colony and have procured a green-headed ant (Rhytidoponera metallica) queen from a supplier in Poland (I am in Bulgaria - greetings from the Black Sea coast).

The queen has arrived alive, but with no eggs as the seller indicated there would be. She was in transport for six days and I fear she may have eaten them to sustain herself. Have you experienced this with any of your queens? Curious how long it'll take her to recover - currently with some freshly-killed flies and some honey.

Furthermore, I am curious how quickly I can introduce her to an outworld. I have a 20x20x20 AntCube ( https://www.antstore.net/shop/en/antfarms---nests/ant-arenas/ANTCUBE---Arena-Combi-120/ANTCUBE---arena-20x20x20---combi-M-5185.html ) and would basically just set everything up and let her use the existing test tube as a nest - under a piece of tree bark - until she felt the need to move out. Good idea or bad?

Finally, how long do these queens typically live? I know the species can continue without a queen, but that's not possible without outside male DNA. Obtaining male specimens on a semi-regular basis would be difficult at best, unless I eventually have two colonies for genetic diversity.

It's going to be a fascinating hobby, but more than that for me. I'm a professional macro photographer and these beautiful ants are going to be showcased in a series of upcoming work, once the colony is established.

SYUTEO

Re: Question about test tube + outworld for new green-headed ant queen (Rhytidoponera metallica)

Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:06 am

It's very likely she eaten the eggs because she was starving or if she's stressed out during shipping.

You can introduce her to an outworld now and it must contain substrate or the larvae cannot spin their cocoons. It might also be better to move her to a setup where she can dig as larvae failing to spin cocoons is very common among Ponerine ants raised in test tubes due to it's smooth surface (other ants that have this same issue include: Odontomachus, Myrmecia, Ectatomma, Stigmatomma, Paraponera and a lot more).

R. metallica is from Australia so you can't make gamergates (mated, egg-laying workers) without males unless you can find someone who has a colony big enough for alates and that he/she will give some to you. I'm exactly sure how long do their queens live but most semi-claustral queen ants in Australia and nearby countries typically live for about 5 years.

DonKom

Re: Question about test tube + outworld for new green-headed ant queen (Rhytidoponera metallica)

Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:26 am

Okay, so she's in the formicarium now - test tube open. She hasn't ventured out yet, but has protein / honey / water (also in the tube). The tube is normally covered up by another piece of bark. It'll be better decorated in time with a branch as a set of "stairs" to get to the top of the main nesting area (two holes are also available at the bottom).

If I can establish a colony, success! If the colony survives and thrives I'll consider getting a second one for swapping alates to keep this going.

Any further advise would be appreciated.

New to the forum so it won't let me add attachments - here's a photo: https://donkom.ca/ants/IMG_3198.jpg

SYUTEO

Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:57 pm

DonKom wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:26 am
Okay, so she's in the formicarium now - test tube open. She hasn't ventured out yet, but has protein / honey / water (also in the tube). The tube is normally covered up by another piece of bark. It'll be better decorated in time with a branch as a set of "stairs" to get to the top of the main nesting area (two holes are also available at the bottom).

If I can establish a colony, success! If the colony survives and thrives I'll consider getting a second one for swapping alates to keep this going.

Any further advise would be appreciated.

New to the forum so it won't let me add attachments - here's a photo: https://donkom.ca/ants/IMG_3198.jpg
Looks good! Also it might take a while for her to settle in and start eating and laying eggs again. Also in the other post I meant not exactly.

DonKom

Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:05 am

Thanks!

Update: Ant is often seen around the enclosure foraging. Not sure where she has decided to nest as I am leaving things undisturbed and just occasionally throwing in a squished insect and a drop of honey. Humidity peaks at 78% and temperature at 28C as measured from underneath tree bark, next to the original test tube. Water is available from a number of sources.

Now it's just a waiting game, I suppose.

DonKom

Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:30 am

Update:

The queen was spending time in the outworld, foraging. A fair bit of time spent doing this - often climbing on the white wire belonging to the thermometer/hydrometer. I figured, okay - she likes to climb. Let's add in some lichen-covered twigs. This would allow her to reach the soil on the top of the formicarium as well.

I believe this was a mistake. All she's been doing this morning is climbing on the twigs! Seems to be having a blast doing it, is very excited for this new addition to the nest. But shouldn't she be spending more time tending to a brood? I am imagining what might happen in nature - where the outworld is infinite and these ants still get along just fine.

Should I just let her calm down to the new surrounds and leave them, or remove them for the time being? Photo: https://donkom.ca/ants/IMG_3215.jpg