Hibernation concerns

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

ellie5010ml

Hibernation concerns

Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:28 pm

Hi! I'm a new ant keeper who recently obtained a Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony. It's in a test tube set up, 10-20 workers strong, and has been fed with drops of sugar water and chunks of mealworm pre-hibernation. In the process of moving the colony to my college dorm, it was warmed up enough for the ants to become active as if they weren't in hibernation. They're now in one of my cabinets in my dorm, which is cold but not *too* cold, so I'm not sure if they're going to re-enter hibernation or not. I don't want to check on them constantly and disturb them, but I am unsure if I should try to feed them or just leave them alone for another month as if they were hibernating.
Any thoughts?

antperson24

Re: Hibernation concerns

Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:30 pm

ellie5010ml wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:28 pm
Hi! I'm a new ant keeper who recently obtained a Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony. It's in a test tube set up, 10-20 workers strong, and has been fed with drops of sugar water and chunks of mealworm pre-hibernation. In the process of moving the colony to my college dorm, it was warmed up enough for the ants to become active as if they weren't in hibernation. They're now in one of my cabinets in my dorm, which is cold but not *too* cold, so I'm not sure if they're going to re-enter hibernation or not. I don't want to check on them constantly and disturb them, but I am unsure if I should try to feed them or just leave them alone for another month as if they were hibernating.
Any thoughts?
Answered your question in the other forum (just posted this to get it out of peoples unanswered topics).
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN