HoneyPot Queen not laying eggs

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

JLorHusk

HoneyPot Queen not laying eggs

Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:47 pm

I purchased a honeypot queen with 2 workers September of 2022. The queen did lay about 2 eggs shortly after bringing them home. Since then the eggs are gone (assume she ate them) and the workers have died. Sheis kept in a test tube (for now) in a dark place. The temp is around 72 F in the daytime and about 69 F in the night time. I have moved her twice to clean the testubes. I am providing sugar water, honey or bug parts once a week. She is very active, but is not laying anymore eggs. Any suggestions or ideas on what I can change to encourage her to lay eggs?

Thank you

antperson24

Re: HoneyPot Queen not laying eggs

Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:26 pm

JLorHusk wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:47 pm
I purchased a honeypot queen with 2 workers September of 2022. The queen did lay about 2 eggs shortly after bringing them home. Since then the eggs are gone (assume she ate them) and the workers have died. Sheis kept in a test tube (for now) in a dark place. The temp is around 72 F in the daytime and about 69 F in the night time. I have moved her twice to clean the testubes. I am providing sugar water, honey or bug parts once a week. She is very active, but is not laying anymore eggs. Any suggestions or ideas on what I can change to encourage her to lay eggs?

Thank you
She is probably not laying eggs because of stress. You should stop moving her because that causes a lot stress. Also is there any way you can keep her in a place were the temperature fluctuates less?
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN