Prenopsis imparis Care

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

mutillidae7

Prenopsis imparis Care

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:52 am

We captured 6 imparis queens yesterday and they are resting quietly in their test tube setups. However, I have heard they are difficult to raise successfully in captivity. Is there anyone whom has successfully kept a colony long term willing to offer information about the species challenges/quirks? Any species specific help or advise would be appreciated!

Batspiderfish

Re: Prenopsis imparis Care

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:21 am

I'm not sure anybody has kept them long-term (at least not hobbyists.) I'd guess it has something to do with summer temperatures. If I decide to keep any this year, I want to put them in the fridge during the hottest months. In the wild, their nests are very deep, and they are not active during the summer.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Martialis

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:38 pm

They can be highly polygonous as well.
Keeper of

Selliing:

mutillidae7

Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Good to know. Would putting them together increase their odds or just stress them more? They have been in individual tubes undisturbed for 48 hours now.

Martialis

Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:23 pm

I personally wouldn't put all of them together. Maybe just two or three.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Serafine

Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:00 am

These are the perfect ants to keep in air-conditioned rooms. If your room gets hotter than 25°C though you'll have to put them into the fridge or a colder basement part. They die in environments hotter than about 25°C. Contrary to other ants however they will still be active at temps far below 15°C.

mutillidae7

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:02 am

I've got a fridge and temp probe ordered so I can keep them below 25C. If they haven't started laying eggs I will pair them up in the test tubes once it comes.