Different way to catch a queen

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

TinaBlackthorne

Different way to catch a queen

Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:25 am

I’ve heard of different ways to catch queen ants, there (of course) catching a queen ant when there’s a nuptial flight, and then there’s getting a queen from a mature colony.
The thing is, normally I wouldn’t prefer the second option since it’s not guaranteed that I wont hurt the queen in the process, but I’m not having any luck in finding a queen and im very impatient.
What’s your opinion?
Also, if I do manage to get the queen without hurting her, do I put her in the test tube setup or just in a formicarium since she doesn’t have the food in her muscle tissues?

TinaBlackthorne

Re: Different way to catch a queen

Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:36 pm

Also there aren’t any GAN farmers where I live

antperson24

Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:57 am

TinaBlackthorne wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:36 pm
Also there aren’t any GAN farmers where I live
I would suggest a GAN farmer over digging one up.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SYUTEO

Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:56 pm

You can try lifting rock or wood up and try to find some like that but it's not always a guarenteed way to find a queen ant, you may find other things that you don't want.

TinaBlackthorne

Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:29 am

There aren’t gonna be any nuptial flights until April so is it possible that I just get a queen ant from a mature colony?
Also, should I put her into a test tube setup or a formicarium? I mean, since she still needs to be fed.

antperson24

Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:41 am

TinaBlackthorne wrote:
There aren’t gonna be any nuptial flights until April so is it possible that I just get a queen ant from a mature colony?
Also, should I put her into a test tube setup or a formicarium? I mean, since she still needs to be fed.
The lifting up a rock method is pretty safe (as far as not hurting the queen) but who knows what you can find under a rock... :shock:
If you find a colony with a nest near a rock, they will probably be under the rock and you just might find a queen!

SYUTEO

Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:14 pm

antperson24 wrote:
TinaBlackthorne wrote:
The lifting up a rock method is pretty safe (as far as not hurting the queen) but who knows what you can find under a rock... :shock:
If you find a colony with a nest near a rock, they will probably be under the rock and you just might find a queen!
I almost got bitten by a snake last time, and I wasn't even touching it's log. This method is effective in terms of not hurting the queen and finding queens after a nuptial flight is over but this may also be one of the most dangerous methods due to finding anything else that isn't queen ants might hurt you.

antperson24

Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:04 am

SYUTEO wrote:
antperson24 wrote:
TinaBlackthorne wrote:
I almost got bitten by a snake last time, and I wasn't even touching it's log. This method is effective in terms of not hurting the queen and finding queens after a nuptial flight is over but this may also be one of the most dangerous methods due to finding anything else that isn't queen ants might hurt you.
Here in Iowa, the most dangerous thing you'll find under a rock is an ant! :lol: But I am sure it is different in the tropics.

SYUTEO

Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:01 am

antperson24 wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
antperson24 wrote:

Here in Iowa, the most dangerous thing you'll find under a rock is an ant! :lol: But I am sure it is different in the tropics.
I know it's a joke but is that really true?

antperson24

Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:33 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:01 am
antperson24 wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

I know it's a joke but is that really true?
You might find a snake, but %95 chance it wont be poisonous. Most of the time the joke is true.