PLSS help first time myrmecia keeper and have a jumping jack ant queen

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

OGgKINg37

PLSS help first time myrmecia keeper and have a jumping jack ant queen

Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:53 pm

hi guys I really need help I caught a myrmecia pilosula queen yesterday and have no idea what to do now
It is currently housed in a basic tub with a test tube. it doesn't seem like it wants to nest though, I fed it a bit of honey and a mealworm but all it is interested in is to try and escape, can somebody please help me to try and encourage it to nest?

also ps I didnt put any substrate inside the tub so maybe that might be an issue? also the mealworm is much bigger than the ant so maybe should I feed it crickets.

also should I keep it in the dark?

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: PLSS help first time myrmecia keeper and have a jumping jack ant queen

Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:33 pm

OGgKINg37 wrote:
hi guys I really need help I caught a myrmecia pilosula queen yesterday and have no idea what to do now
It is currently housed in a basic tub with a test tube. it doesn't seem like it wants to nest though, I fed it a bit of honey and a mealworm but all it is interested in is to try and escape, can somebody please help me to try and encourage it to nest?

also ps I didnt put any substrate inside the tub so maybe that might be an issue? also the mealworm is much bigger than the ant so maybe should I feed it crickets.

Keep the nest dark, feed her every of couple of days. It is a test tube setup right? Not just an empty tube
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

OGGKING1

Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:10 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
OGgKINg37 wrote:

Keep the nest dark, feed her every of couple of days. It is a test tube setup right? Not just an empty tube
yes if u mean test tube setup with a water source and cotton ball.

but I currently put it into the test tube blocked off with a cotton ball for a few days just to encourage it to nest, is this a bad idea?

I also fed it inside the test tube, let me know if I should let it wander in the outworld.
ant colonies owned

myrmecia pilosula
monomorium sp
iridomyrmex bicknelli
Nylanderia sp
Myrmecia simillima
Pheidole sp
Melophorus sp x3(for sale)
Myrmecia fulvipes (for sale)

SYUTEO

Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:57 am

OGGKING1 wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
OGgKINg37 wrote:

but I currently put it into the test tube blocked off with a cotton ball for a few days just to encourage it to nest, is this a bad idea?

I also fed it inside the test tube, let me know if I should let it wander in the outworld.
Although it is possible to raise a semi-claustral queen ant without an outworld, some queens just prefer to have an outworld. Try giving her an out world, it also has to be filled with substrate. Since you're a new Myrmecia keeper, I recommend watching these videos to learn more about them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1weZJqEalN8&t=1024shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vRRYsVUkwU

OGGKING1

Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:53 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
OGGKING1 wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Although it is possible to raise a semi-claustral queen ant without an outworld, some queens just prefer to have an outworld. Try giving her an out world, it also has to be filled with substrate. Since you're a new Myrmecia keeper, I recommend watching these videos to learn more about them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1weZJqEalN8&t=1024shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vRRYsVUkwU
When it says to feed the queen does it mean that during the founding stage the actual queen needs nourishment or the larvae?
ant colonies owned

myrmecia pilosula
monomorium sp
iridomyrmex bicknelli
Nylanderia sp
Myrmecia simillima
Pheidole sp

SYUTEO

Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:33 am

OGGKING1 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:53 pm
SYUTEO wrote:
OGGKING1 wrote:

When it says to feed the queen does it mean that during the founding stage the actual queen needs nourishment or the larvae?
Both, the queen can survive on only the honey but the larvae need to eat insects.

OGGKING1

Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:28 pm

oh so since my queen has no eggs or larvae should I only feed it honey? until the larvea arrive?

because I already put a bottlecap with honey in the outworld so should I just leave it for a week?
ant colonies owned

myrmecia pilosula
monomorium sp
iridomyrmex bicknelli
Nylanderia sp
Myrmecia simillima
Pheidole sp

SYUTEO

Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:15 pm

OGGKING1 wrote:
oh so since my queen has no eggs or larvae should I only feed it honey? until the larvea arrive?

because I already put a bottlecap with honey in the outworld so should I just leave it for a week?
You can but she may still need a day-night cycle like weaver ants since their vision is also very good.

antperson24

Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:22 am

OGGKING1 wrote:

I don't know much about this particular genus, but in general the queen still needs protein to lay eggs.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN