Hibernation with no workers?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

RaylaIsBest

Hibernation with no workers?

Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:14 pm

Hello everybody!

So essentially about 2 months ago near mid/late august, I captured a Lasius Niger queen. I placed her in a test tube setup and all was going well. The eggs were taking a while to hatch, but I assumed it was just cause my room was quite cold. However, yesterday I realized that I had forgotten to start hibernating her at the beginning of October. Since she doesn't have any workers yet, I haven't fed her. And since I wont be able to stop her from hibernating even if I put her in a warm area because of her internal clock, i'm wondering what to do. I afraid shell starve because she is probably low on stores. Thanks for the help!

also apologies for the weird username i made it when I was nine and cant find a way to change it.

antperson24

Re: Hibernation with no workers?

Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:12 pm

RaylaIsBest wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:14 pm
Hello everybody!

So essentially about 2 months ago near mid/late august, I captured a Lasius Niger queen. I placed her in a test tube setup and all was going well. The eggs were taking a while to hatch, but I assumed it was just cause my room was quite cold. However, yesterday I realized that I had forgotten to start hibernating her at the beginning of October. Since she doesn't have any workers yet, I haven't fed her. And since I wont be able to stop her from hibernating even if I put her in a warm area because of her internal clock, i'm wondering what to do. I afraid shell starve because she is probably low on stores. Thanks for the help!

also apologies for the weird username i made it when I was nine and cant find a way to change it.
I think if you give her a very small drop of honey, you will be able to hibernate her.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN