Ponerine Queens

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

seadawg84

Ponerine Queens

Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:44 pm

I have two different queens (possibly ponera pennsylvanica and proceratium silacium) and all they do is hunt, sleep and drink their water. I know they’re queens because you can clearly see where their wings were. I have had them for several weeks now and neither of them have laid any eggs (as far as I can tell). Should I just let them go? Or should I wait until next spring (I live in Northern Indiana) to see if either of them have laid eggs by then?

antperson24

Re: Ponerine Queens

Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:40 am

seadawg84 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:44 pm
I have two different queens (possibly ponera pennsylvanica and proceratium silacium) and all they do is hunt, sleep and drink their water. I know they’re queens because you can clearly see where their wings were. I have had them for several weeks now and neither of them have laid any eggs (as far as I can tell). Should I just let them go? Or should I wait until next spring (I live in Northern Indiana) to see if either of them have laid eggs by then?
I don't know much a bout that genus, but I would keep them a little longer.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

AntsOfMichigan

Re: Ponerine Queens

Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:55 pm

Assuming you caught they relatively late (from what i've read, maybe at the beginning of October?) I'd definitely keep them. In Northern Indiana, most ants are in hibernation by October, or atleast going into hibernation by October. Queens caught this late commonly go into hibernation in northern climates. I'd say hibernate them. Are they active, or are they kind of just sitting there? If they are just sitting there, put them into hibernation, just make sure its actual hibernation temperatures (40-50F) and not just in the 60s-70s, or else the queens will die of starvation. Not super good with Semi-Claustral queens, but from what i've read, and my personal experience, i'd put them into hibernation.
Founding:
Lasius Brevicornis x3
Lasius Neoniger x1
Temnothorax Curvispinosus x1
Crematogaster Cerasi x1
Lasius Claviger x1

Current Colonies:
Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis x1
Camponotus Discolor x1

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdG3iBnT6Qv9ASEJMaD1mKA :D