Myrmecocystus melliger- Do I hibernate?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Antwan

Myrmecocystus melliger- Do I hibernate?

Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:48 am

I live in south-central texas, where the temperatures are currently ranging from the 60-80s range. I acquired a fresh colony of myrmecocystus melliger honeypot ants, with only a queen, 2 workers, and some brood. I was wondering if I should hibernate them this year, and if so how exactly to do so. It seems like such a young colony would die if they hibernated all winter, especially seeing as they do not currently have any repletes. Thanks in advance.

P.S., how often should I be feeding them at this stage? Thanks.

antperson24

Re: Myrmecocystus melliger- Do I hibernate?

Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:56 am

Antwan wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:48 am
I live in south-central texas, where the temperatures are currently ranging from the 60-80s range. I acquired a fresh colony of myrmecocystus melliger honeypot ants, with only a queen, 2 workers, and some brood. I was wondering if I should hibernate them this year, and if so how exactly to do so. It seems like such a young colony would die if they hibernated all winter, especially seeing as they do not currently have any repletes. Thanks in advance.

P.S., how often should I be feeding them at this stage? Thanks.
This care sheet is for Myrmecocystus mimicus, but I think it should still apply to your species. Here is a snippet I think you will find helpful: "Low activity during cool or rainy weather, or periods of excessive heat". Also here is the full page:https://ielc.libguides.com/sdzg/factsheets/honeypot-ant
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN