Solenopsis xyloni (Southern fire ant)

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

loveants1341

Solenopsis xyloni (Southern fire ant)

Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:10 pm

how hard is it to take care of Solenopsis xyloni (Southern fire ant) i was told before few times its not for a new ant keeper but how hard is it really ? yes i do know they like to get out of the house you put them into but the ones from ant canada keeps them in i think ? if not u can rub Vaseline on the top right ? also if you keep the food small they wont grow as fast also have no heat they also wont grow as fast why im asking is i have one queen as of now with 4 workers ( Camponotus sansabeanus ) id always wanted to keep fire ants and i could buy one from a gan farmer for $20 thats not bad at all i think way cheaper then $195 i spent on my other queen and id like to have 2 queens that i do know that can lay eggs thank you so much for reading this and helping me out

loveants1341

Re: Solenopsis xyloni (Southern fire ant)

Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:04 am

i read up on this on the internet saying they are not as aggressive as other fire ants i do know some fire ants like to escape their house but dose Solenopsis xylon like to get out ? any tips on them if i get them ? also what one should i get the queen with 1 worker or a queen with 6+ workers and alot of brood for little more cash ? also if i do get the fire ants id like to have them in a fish tank (latter on when they grow in numbers) thats my dream to one day have

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:55 pm

loveants1341 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:04 am
i read up on this on the internet saying they are not as aggressive as other fire ants i do know some fire ants like to escape their house but dose Solenopsis xylon like to get out ? any tips on them if i get them ? also what one should i get the queen with 1 worker or a queen with 6+ workers and alot of brood for little more cash ? also if i do get the fire ants id like to have them in a fish tank (latter on when they grow in numbers) thats my dream to one day have
Same care as S. gemineta(AntsCanada's fire ants) but minus the seeds and super majors
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

loveants1341

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:57 pm

oh ok so basic the same thing and they dont get majors ?

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:58 pm

loveants1341 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:57 pm
oh ok so basic the same thing and they dont get majors ?
Not super majors with jaws strong enough to crack seeds, but like Camponotus majors, workers significantly bigger than others. True majors probably won't come for a year in S. Invicta related species.

loveants1341

Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:15 pm

oh okay thanks for your help do you know any of the 2 queens i got ? some pppl here called it Lasius aphidicola parasitic some called it camponotus sp the red ant i got here ( https://imgur.com/a/OmteSdJ )

the black ant here ( https://imgur.com/a/6bjyaLo ) i have no idea what she is i found her in kansas usa in town in my back yard she is 6 cm long in the dirt on top of it barley walking is this due to it being cold ? 65F 45 C it looks like she got attacked on her Gaster theres a dent on top of her Gaster but as i look for other queens they got a dip on there Gaster as well some other queens so my guess she going into hibernate for the winter ?

also when should i hibernate my other queens i got 1 queen that has 4 workers the name of them is Sansabeanus carpenter ant

and rest i dont really know what they are i got 2 black ones one with wings still but i seen it mate with a male ant i know they need to mate with more then 1 male to be laying eggs then i got the 2 above thanks for helping me out

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:32 pm

loveants1341 wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:15 pm
oh okay thanks for your help do you know any of the 2 queens i got ? some pppl here called it Lasius aphidicola parasitic some called it camponotus sp the red ant i got here ( https://imgur.com/a/OmteSdJ )

the black ant here ( https://imgur.com/a/6bjyaLo ) i have no idea what she is i found her in kansas usa in town in my back yard she is 6 cm long in the dirt on top of it barley walking is this due to it being cold ? 65F 45 C it looks like she got attacked on her Gaster theres a dent on top of her Gaster but as i look for other queens they got a dip on there Gaster as well some other queens so my guess she going into hibernate for the winter ?

also when should i hibernate my other queens i got 1 queen that has 4 workers the name of them is Sansabeanus carpenter ant

and rest i dont really know what they are i got 2 black ones one with wings still but i seen it mate with a male ant i know they need to mate with more then 1 male to be laying eggs then i got the 2 above thanks for helping me out
Whoa 6cm, thats big.
Someone who lives in a state that gets below 32°F would be better suited for telling you about hibernation.

For your ID's whatever OiledOlives said is right.

loveants1341

Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:48 pm

its 6 lines on the top of a ruler i had to look it up and i guess its 1/2 a inch

loveants1341

Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:23 pm

mods can get ride of this one im not sure how to get ride of them thanks