what ants should I buy rn?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

antboy2009

what ants should I buy rn?

Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:21 am

So I am relatively new to ant keeping, but I have caught some queen ants already! I have some in test tubes, and others in terrariums to watch how they dig their nests naturally. the ant type I have is lasius niger, and they are very slow producers. they take 4-6 weeks to lay their eggs, and 8-10 weeks for them to fully develop. so, I am looking to buy an ant species that develops fast, and that I can do more than just check to see if they are alive right now. I have sent an email to the queen ants for sale part but just did it a few mins ago, so I do not know what ants are available in my region. what ant type should i get? I live in the newengland area of the US, specifically Connecticut, if that helps.

antperson24

Re: what ants should I buy rn?

Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:34 am

antboy2009 wrote:
So I am relatively new to ant keeping, but I have caught some queen ants already! I have some in test tubes, and others in terrariums to watch how they dig their nests naturally. the ant type I have is lasius niger, and they are very slow producers. they take 4-6 weeks to lay their eggs, and 8-10 weeks for them to fully develop. so, I am looking to buy an ant species that develops fast, and that I can do more than just check to see if they are alive right now. I have sent an email to the queen ants for sale part but just did it a few mins ago, so I do not know what ants are available in my region. what ant type should i get? I live in the newengland area of the US, specifically Connecticut, if that helps.
I would say Tetramorium immigrans if you are looking for a fast growing species. But they are nonnative so you should not reales them.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: what ants should I buy rn?

Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:50 pm

antboy2009 wrote:
Camponotus are slow, but really cool and easy to keep. You can always ask for help with Campos, as a lot of people keep.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…