Concerns about new small colony.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

thestellarsystem

Concerns about new small colony.

Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:57 pm

Hello! I haven't been around much, school's been a pain in my backside.
I have a few concerns with one of the newer queens I have caught, the one who has actually hatched out her nanitics and is fertilized.

She had around 7 or 6 nanitics, but I checked on her yesterday and it seems like most of them died, since there are only two workers alive now. I was planning on finally removing the cotton stopper and plugging their test tube nest into an AC test tube portal, so I could both feed them and move them into a new test tube, as the current one is getting mouldy; I was quite surprised to find she only had two remaining workers.

I worked quickly, because if the problem was the mould, then they would need to be moved ASAP. I know there weren't many workers and it was risky, but I couldn't let myself fail once again. So, I attempted to lure them out with protein (watered down cat food because I don't have feeder insects at the moment) and a sugar (some strawberry jam) source. It took a few minutes for a worker to wander out and explore, she immediately went to town on the jam, though mostly ignored the cat food. I think I saw her nibble at it after having some jam? I don't know. But I do know they need a good protein source soon because I couldn't spot any brood in the test tube.

I'm hoping this colony will survive. I really do. But I have no idea why most of the nanitics died? The first workers that hatch out are the first to die, so maybe that explains it, but to have the numbers go down from 6-7 to 2 in a span of a week is quite confusing and very concerning.

Could someone shed some light on this for me?
| She/They | Pan/Greyrom | ADHD and proudly hyperfixating on ants for 6+ years! |

just a tiny little ant-lover who is the proud keeper of:

Two unidentified queens, one which has nanitics.

Antlover41157

Re: Concerns about new small colony.

Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:11 pm

Maybe mold? Move them to a new testube might help.

thestellarsystem

Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:51 pm

Antlover41157 wrote:
I am trying to. I've been shining a light on the mouldy test tube in an attempt to get them moving out, but it's been two days and no luck.

One worker even scoped out the new test tube, sat in it for a couple of hours, and then went back to the mouldy test tube. Still no activity. Should I keep shining the light? Should I offer some more protein or sugar?
| She/They | Pan/Greyrom | ADHD and proudly hyperfixating on ants for 6+ years! |

just a tiny little ant-lover who is the proud keeper of:

Two unidentified queens, one which has nanitics.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:43 pm

thestellarsystem wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:51 pm
Antlover41157 wrote:
I am trying to. I've been shining a light on the mouldy test tube in an attempt to get them moving out, but it's been two days and no luck.

One worker even scoped out the new test tube, sat in it for a couple of hours, and then went back to the mouldy test tube. Still no activity. Should I keep shining the light? Should I offer some more protein or sugar?
If it’s Camponotus(Skimmed first post) light won’t make them move. If they have no brood dumping is certainly an option.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…