Bull Ant Eggs Not Hatching

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

MillenniumRaven

Bull Ant Eggs Not Hatching

Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:20 am

Hello!

I am Raven. I am an ant keeper from China. It's nice to be here.

I have this problem that been trouble me for some time now. I will be grateful if you guys can show me some hints.

well, here it is.

I have had this Myrmecia nigriscapa queen for over 3 months. She was alone at first, then I boosted her, so now she has a worker.

I kept her in an ACC nest that I made myself, attached to an out-world. The queen has been laying eggs. The number of eggs ranges from 18-25. But none of them hatched.

I tried to figure out why...

The temperature is 25-26°C, and humidity is around 75~85%. I have seen other Myrmecia nigriscapa queen doing well under the same temp and humidity.

I tried moving them to a test tube, which is where they are now. But still, the eggs won't hatch.

I heard that the eggs of Myrmecia nigriscapa will usually hatch in 14days. But the 1st patch(30 eggs in total) didn't show much difference for 38days. Then I discard them and move the queen to the test tube. I also cover the test tube to give her a dark environment.

Soon she laid another patch of eggs. And it has been 30days since then, the eggs still won't hatch, and they are shrinking:(

Why is that? :?

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Bull Ant Eggs Not Hatching

Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:32 pm

MillenniumRaven wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:20 am
Hello!

I am Raven. I am an ant keeper from China. It's nice to be here.

I have this problem that been trouble me for some time now. I will be grateful if you guys can show me some hints.

well, here it is.

I have had this Myrmecia nigriscapa queen for over 3 months. She was alone at first, then I boosted her, so now she has a worker.

I kept her in an ACC nest that I made myself, attached to an out-world. The queen has been laying eggs. The number of eggs ranges from 18-25. But none of them hatched.

I tried to figure out why...

The temperature is 25-26°C, and humidity is around 75~85%. I have seen other Myrmecia nigriscapa queen doing well under the same temp and humidity.

I tried moving them to a test tube, which is where they are now. But still, the eggs won't hatch.

I heard that the eggs of Myrmecia nigriscapa will usually hatch in 14days. But the 1st patch(30 eggs in total) didn't show much difference for 38days. Then I discard them and move the queen to the test tube. I also cover the test tube to give her a dark environment.

Soon she laid another patch of eggs. And it has been 30days since then, the eggs still won't hatch, and they are shrinking:(

Why is that? :?
In some species larvae are smaller than eggs
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

MillenniumRaven

Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:08 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:32 pm
In some species larvae are smaller than eggs
Thanks ,SK. I think they were still eggs. I have a "colony" of bull ant that has only two workers, different species tho. Their larva can grow quite large.

I now move the Myrmecia nigriscapa queen and her worker back to the AAC nest, but this time I added a water tower in one of the chamber.

(It seems I can't add pictures here...)

Rhytidmetallica

Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:41 am

SAME

MY EGGS ARENT HATCHINGGGGGGG :| :| :| :| :|

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:34 pm

Rhytidmetallica wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:41 am
SAME

MY EGGS ARENT HATCHINGGGGGGG :| :| :| :| :|
Please make your own topic next time. How long has it been?
When you accidentally reply to yourself…