Ants Dying. Queen Seems Fine

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

NewAntKeeper

Ants Dying. Queen Seems Fine

Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:11 pm

Okie doke. This is my first time keeping ants and I'm struggling to keep the workers alive. I've had at least 15 ants in total die and I'm now down to my last 2. My ants are Camponotus Pennsylvanicus.

Issues that I've been having:

1. When first transferring the queen to her new home, the outworld had a mold issue due to me leaving water in the outworld. I pulled the outworld away from the nest and cleaned it with antiseptic alcohol and vinegar. Let the outworld air out and started placing food on aluminum foil so it can be pulled out. So far, that seems fine, but maybe theres an underlying problem I'm missing.

2. The ants chose inside their nest as a dumping ground for their pupa egg waste. However, if enough ants die (had 4 die around the same time), they will throw the remains into the outworld. I've been able to remove the ant remains, but not the pupa egg waste.

3. Water. I tend to add at least 3-5 ml into the nest every 4-6 days (into the designated spot this ytong nest has for water placement). Not sure if that's an issue, they seem okay with it.

4. Food. I've given them honey, maple syrup, sugar water, pre-made protein syrup for ants, roach, chicken, and seeds. They tend to avoid the sugar water, maple syrup, and seeds, but loved everything else. Lately though, I'm not seeing them come to the outworld and get any food I add. Just last night I gave them chicken and had 4 ants. Woke up today and found 2 dead.

What could be causing them to die?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Ants Dying. Queen Seems Fine

Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:24 pm

NewAntKeeper wrote:
Okie doke. This is my first time keeping ants and I'm struggling to keep the workers alive. I've had at least 15 ants in total die and I'm now down to my last 2. My ants are Camponotus Pennsylvanicus.

1. When first transferring the queen to her new home, the outworld had a mold issue due to me leaving water in the outworld. I pulled the outworld away from the nest and cleaned it with antiseptic alcohol and vinegar. Let the outworld air out and started placing food on aluminum foil so it can be pulled out. So far, that seems fine, but maybe theres an underlying problem I'm missing.

2. The ants chose inside their nest as a dumping ground for their pupa egg waste. However, if enough ants die (had 4 die around the same time), they will throw the remains into the outworld. I've been able to remove the ant remains, but not the pupa egg waste.

3. Water. I tend to add at least 3-5 ml into the nest every 4-6 days (into the designated spot this ytong nest has for water placement). Not sure if that's an issue, they seem okay with it.

4. Food. I've given them honey, maple syrup, sugar water, pre-made protein syrup for ants, roach, chicken, and seeds. They tend to avoid the sugar water, maple syrup, and seeds, but loved everything else. Lately though, I'm not seeing them come to the outworld and get any food I add. Just last night I gave them chicken and had 4 ants. Woke up today and found 2 dead.

C. Penn lay eggs in batches. Workers will die all at once, and this is one con of keeping Camponotus.
1. Don’t water the outworld, they will try to nest in it
4. Really? Seeds? I might have to try that.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

NewAntKeeper

Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:23 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:24 pm
NewAntKeeper wrote:

C. Penn lay eggs in batches. Workers will die all at once, and this is one con of keeping Camponotus.
1. Don’t water the outworld, they will try to nest in it
4. Really? Seeds? I might have to try that.
Yeah, ever since the first water thing, i never added water.

Workers are only going to live for about 2-3 months? Didn't realize they have such a short lifespan. And hopefully i will find something they will wanna come out of the nest to eat. gonna try mealworms today.

RespectforAnts

Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:33 pm

Now that you are down to only 2 workers maybe try getting them back into a test tube. Also try freshly killed insects as they might want to eat that.
C. Novaeboracensis (my favorite ant
C. Pennsylvannicus x2
Tetramorium Immigrans x2

NewAntKeeper

Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:31 pm

RespectforAnts wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:33 pm
Now that you are down to only 2 workers maybe try getting them back into a test tube. Also try freshly killed insects as they might want to eat that.
Hmm, not sure how i would get them back into the test tube, but when I have time, I will look more into that.

The killed insects thing I'm doing today. Quickly blanched a couple mealworms and placed them in the outworld. Cut one open for easier access. Hopefully they will want to eat the worms.

RespectforAnts

Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:10 pm

Good Luck!
C. Novaeboracensis (my favorite ant
C. Pennsylvannicus x2
Tetramorium Immigrans x2

antsawesomegdsuga

Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:18 am

to early wait until they have 20-50 workers
ANTS :D