Aphaenogaster Help.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

antperson24

Aphaenogaster Help.

Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:20 am

I have a Aphaenogaster rudis colony with three workers in a THA mini hearth. The question I have is how should I feed them a sugar source that the workers can take back to the nest, so that the queen does not have to come up? Also, do all Apaenogaster ants lack a social stomachs or just rudis?
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Aphaenogaster Help.

Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:42 am

antperson24 wrote:
I have a Aphaenogaster rudis colony with three workers in a THA mini hearth. The question I have is how should I feed them a sugar source that the workers can take back to the nest, so that the queen does not have to come up? Also, do all Apaenogaster ants lack a social stomachs or just rudis?
Most if not all Aphenogaster lack social stomachs. You can try very miniature pieces of fruit for them to carry inside, but bread crumbs might work as these are also a source of carbohydrates, its just these mold pretty fast. I suggest introducing spring tails or using the nest mate as ventilation as this is a dirty genus of ant.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

antperson24

Re: Aphaenogaster Help.

Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:06 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:42 am
antperson24 wrote:
Most if not all Aphenogaster lack social stomachs. You can try very miniature pieces of fruit for them to carry inside, but bread crumbs might work as these are also a source of carbohydrates, its just these mold pretty fast. I suggest introducing spring tails or using the nest mate as ventilation as this is a dirty genus of ant.
Thanks, I was worried the queen would have to come up to the surface every time she was hungry.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN