Question about Pheidoli Parva

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

CatChime

Question about Pheidoli Parva

Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:49 am

First post, sorry if this in the wrong category! :D

So I'm considering looking for a Pheidoli species as my first ant colony, but I have a few questions before doing so:
1. How fast do their colonies expand? I don't want too big of a colony as that seems kinda intimidating to keep.
2. I'm pretty sure they're pretty aggressive, so I'd love some tips to prevent an escape
3. What's their diet and schedule like?

Sorry if this is a lot of questions, I don't know much about the Pheidoli species haha
Any tips appreciated!

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Question about Pheidoli Parv

Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:26 am

CatChime wrote:

So I'm considering looking for a Pheidoli species as my first ant colony, but I have a few questions before doing so:
1. How fast do their colonies expand? I don't want too big of a colony as that seems kinda intimidating to keep.
2. I'm pretty sure they're pretty aggressive, so I'd love some tips to prevent an escape

Sorry if this is a lot of questions, I don't know much about the Pheidoli species haha
Any tips appreciated!
Pheidole grow quicker than most ants, but it depends on species. I am not sure about Parva…
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SYUTEO

Re: Question about Pheidoli Parva

Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:23 pm

Pheidole parva grow super quickly

JaydenScheepers

Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:57 am

CatChime wrote:

Any tips appreciated!
From my experience of P. prava workers invading my home, they aren't aggressive towards me at all. I have had multiple workers calmly walk over my hand.

To prevent an escape you have to make sure that if you're connecting setups with each other that it's a tight fit, because P. prava workers are very small. If you have a out world or something that has an open top then you can apply flueon/ Insecta slip around the edges. You can make your own by mixing one part baby powder with one part rubbing alcohol.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

Polyrhachiskeeper

Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:05 pm

Pheidole sp. eat almost anything, this is something worth looking out for as ants such as Polyrhachis are picky about the food they get
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Dark Camponotus nicobarensis
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii
-Polyrhachis rastellata 2x

Beginners must not keep Polyrhachis!

CatChime

Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:23 am

Thank you all for the replies! I think I will start looking for them/buy them. :)

JaydenScheepers

Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:39 pm

Now I don't know if the big colonies of small ants near me are Solenopsis. I've learnt how to distinguish the Pheidole parva majors between whatever species this is, and I've noticed that P. prava are smaller. But what I don't know is what species it could be, could be a different species of Pheidole, could be Carebera diversa, Solenopsis, or some other species of small ants I'm not yet aware of.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1