I need assistance with my Cataulacus queen.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

JaydenScheepers

I need assistance with my Cataulacus queen.

Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:13 am

I have tried to keep Cataulacus in the past, however it failed miserably. The queen drowned in a drop of water in the middle of the test tube, I was so sad to discover she had died.

I got so lucky today, I was in the kitchen making eggs, then when I finished I went outside to turn off the gas, and when I turned to go back in I saw a queen walking on the ground. I'm so excited, I will do lots of reading today, because I REALLY don't want to fail again. I know I said Odontomachus are my favorite ants, but these Cataulacus ants are just so beautiful to look at.

If there is anything about these ants you can tell me please do, I will appreciate it so much.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Re: I need assistance with my Cataulacus queen.

Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:54 am

https://imgur.com/gallery/4Nzd76u

This is the setup I have for her now, I tried to quickly add some wood to make her feel more at home. Hopefully she'll like it, went I get back I plan on searching for hollow sticks, then I'll take my time to properly sanitize them to keep her safe and stick it in there (pun not intended).

Also if anyone knows ant keepers who have successfully kept them or even failed and documented them, then I would like to go through their experience so I would appreciate it if you can send the link.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:08 am

https://imgur.com/gallery/xo9wdHX

Alright update on my Cataulacus granulatus, when I checked up on her she came up from under one of the peaces of wood inside the test tube and went for the exit. When I was preparing her mealworm I saw she was trying to squeeze through the exit cotton, so I decided to connect her test tube with an out world. Later I came back and saw she sat inside the connecting tube, witch has a smaller space than the test tube. So I think what she wants is a very small space, not the wood. I'll look for some small hollow sticks and sanitize them, see if she would like that.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:41 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:

Alright update on my Cataulacus granulatus, when I checked up on her she came up from under one of the peaces of wood inside the test tube and went for the exit. When I was preparing her mealworm I saw she was trying to squeeze through the exit cotton, so I decided to connect her test tube with an out world. Later I came back and saw she sat inside the connecting tube, witch has a smaller space than the test tube. So I think what she wants is a very small space, not the wood. I'll look for some small hollow sticks and sanitize them, see if she would like that.
You can try straws. A lot of psedumyrmex will nest in plastic straws, and sometimes paper straws.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

JaydenScheepers

Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:58 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:41 am
JaydenScheepers wrote:

You can try straws. A lot of psedumyrmex will nest in plastic straws, and sometimes paper straws.
Good Idea I'll try that. I have heard that Cataulacus likes walking on wood and doesn't really like walking on any other material. So what I'll do is I'll give her a plastic straw on one side, and a hollow twig on the other, and see which one she prefers.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:23 pm

Holy crap these girls have good eye sight. I am observing her, waiting to see if she likes the straw, and my arm is maybe 30 cm away from the test tube, so I quickly brought my arm over to do something, but I did keep my distance from the test tube because I know they can see well for ants. But when I swung my arm she flinched, that instantly caught my attention.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:16 pm

I was starting to get real worried, but I finally saw she ate a little bit.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:43 pm

Are Cataulacus granulatus polyligiousness?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:34 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Not alot is on antwiki, so i think it is best to keep them apart. Some highly monogynos Camponotus however have been made polygynos.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

JaydenScheepers

Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:58 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:34 pm
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Not alot is on antwiki, so i think it is best to keep them apart. Some highly monogynos Camponotus however have been made polygynos.
Yeah, sometimes some monogynos ants accept 2 founding queens. However one of my C. granulatus queens has three eggs now, so I don't want to risk it.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1