Which of these ants are best to keep?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Which of these ants are the best to keep?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:14 pm

Camponotus/Colobobsis sp.
42%
Pheidole sp.
33%
Iridomyrmex sp.
17%
Crematogaster sp.
8%
Nylanderia/Tapinoma sp.
No votes

Total votes: 12

Polyrhachiskeeper

Which of these ants are best to keep?

Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:14 pm

Reply if its Tapinoma sp. or Nylanderia sp.
There were too many options
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Dark Camponotus nicobarensis
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii
-Polyrhachis rastellata 2x

Beginners must not keep Polyrhachis!

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Which of these ants are best to keep?

Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:24 am

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:14 pm
Reply if its Tapinoma sp. or Nylanderia sp.
There were too many options
Colobopsis should be it’s own option. It’s a completely different experience.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Polyrhachiskeeper

Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:48 am

I cant edit it, so just reply if Camponotus or Colobobsis. And how is it different experience there are almost the same except Colobobsis sp. have pupa and Camponotus sp. have cocoons. :?:

I have no idea if its easy to keep Crematogaster, Tapinoma or Nylanderia, but i do know Pheidole and Camponotus are easy to keep.
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

SYUTEO

Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:07 am

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
I cant edit it, so just reply if Camponotus or Colobobsis. And how is it different experience there are almost the same except Colobobsis sp. have pupa and Camponotus sp. have cocoons. :?:

I have no idea if its easy to keep Crematogaster, Tapinoma or Nylanderia, but i do know Pheidole and Camponotus are easy to keep.
Colobopsis depending on the species is a little harder to much harder than Camponotus.

If I were to rank those five species in order from easiest to hardest it would be Camponotus, Pheidole, Nylanderia, Crematogaster, Tapinoma. I never successfully raised a Tapinoma melanocephalum queen before and they are quite hard to keep from escaping which is why I rank it as hardest.

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:29 am

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:

Colobopsis are usually smaller than Camponotus, and like SYUTEO said, some species are very hard to keep alive. Also Colobopsis have some good looking majors and queens. Love those cork heads.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

antperson24

Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:59 pm

The only species I have kept on the list is Camponotus, so that is what I vote. :lol:
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

Polyrhachiskeeper

Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:11 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:

Colobopsis depending on the species is a little harder to much harder than Camponotus.

If I were to rank those five species in order from easiest to hardest it would be Camponotus, Pheidole, Nylanderia, Crematogaster, Tapinoma. I never successfully raised a Tapinoma melanocephalum queen before and they are quite hard to keep from escaping which is why I rank it as hardest.
How about Iridomyrmex?
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

JaydenScheepers

Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:12 am

I would like to keep Colobopsis, they look so fasting, and it looks like they have evolved a similar adaptation to Cataulacus of blocking the entrances with their heads. Convergent evolution??
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:35 pm

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:

How about Iridomyrmex?
They are ok as long as you can handle their bites. But they can cross baby powder and vaseline barriers.

Polyrhachiskeeper

Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:50 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:35 pm
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

How about Iridomyrmex?
They are ok as long as you can handle their bites. But they can cross baby powder and vaseline barriers.
Lots of ants i have can cross vaseline barriers, BCA for example the small red ants in my area which i strongly believe are pharaoh ants.
I made a stunning discovery btw, i went to Cameron and found a ant which i strongly believe is a spiny ant, and it also look really like a fish-hook ant, it is red, gold and has curved spikes, i'll send a pic. I heard that fish-hook ants are extremely rare, this is just a worker but it would still be amazing if it was really a fish-hook ant. Sadly it died but i have a picture of it alive. I made it walk round my arm and my hand, it did not bite me. I heard fish-hook ants are EXTREMELY dangerous. It was very nice and did not bite me once, it just walked and licked me sometimes.
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii