How to care for black crazy ants?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: How to care for black crazy ants?

Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:27 pm

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:16 pm
The mites are mostly on the body, on all the ants, even the queens i think, but i saw one with 1 mite on the leg and the rest on the abdomen, thorax and head. It seems they are slowed down by the mites, or maybe because i didnt give them enough food.
And they really like their home, if i leave the cap open, they dont come out. I tried re uniting the ant with mites with his family in the wild, but nothing happened i think. The just accepted him and walked into the nest. Is this bad? :oops:
Now the good news :D . I cuaght another queen, its Polyrhachis rastellata it think (again!?). I have another Polyrhachis rastellata, can i put them toghether? i heard they are polygynous. I think they will grow faster if i unite them, bcs my old P. rastellata has 1 worker and few brood. Polyrhachis ants seem VERY common in my area, although i dont see the workers of them, just queens. This is my third Polyrhachis i cuaght! :D :lol: :o . Polyrhachis is one of my favourite ants. I was shocked to hear that AntsCanada didnt know how to raise a Polyrhachis queen! :o .
They will kill her. You must introduce queens before brood comes along or a mated queen into a large colony. What kind of polygyny do they have? Do you know? (Secondary, primary, etc)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SYUTEO

Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:53 pm

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
The mites are mostly on the body, on all the ants, even the queens i think, but i saw one with 1 mite on the leg and the rest on the abdomen, thorax and head. It seems they are slowed down by the mites, or maybe because i didnt give them enough food.
And they really like their home, if i leave the cap open, they dont come out. I tried re uniting the ant with mites with his family in the wild, but nothing happened i think. The just accepted him and walked into the nest. Is this bad? :oops:
Now the good news :D . I cuaght another queen, its Polyrhachis rastellata it think (again!?). I have another Polyrhachis rastellata, can i put them toghether? i heard they are polygynous. I think they will grow faster if i unite them, bcs my old P. rastellata has 1 worker and few brood. Polyrhachis ants seem VERY common in my area, although i dont see the workers of them, just queens. This is my third Polyrhachis i cuaght! :D :lol: :o . Polyrhachis is one of my favourite ants. I was shocked to hear that AntsCanada didnt know how to raise a Polyrhachis queen! :o .
Well, I mean, I couldn't raise one as well even though I have been keeping ants for nearly 4 years. Every Polyrhachis queen I caught always seem to be stubborn.

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:53 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:53 pm
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Well, I mean, I couldn't raise one as well even though I have been keeping ants for nearly 4 years. Every Polyrhachis queen I caught always seem to be stubborn.
Sounds like Odontomachus and a lot of “cool” ants.

Polyrhachiskeeper

Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:05 am

sad news, my queen i just caught has died, dunno why. I fed the queen to my first P. rastellata which will hopefully eat it.
And the mites, they seems to like the body more than the legs, maybe this is a clue?
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Dark Camponotus nicobarensis
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii
-Polyrhachis rastellata 2x

Beginners must not keep Polyrhachis!

Antloverhuman

Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:43 am

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:05 am
sad news, my queen i just caught has died, dunno why. I fed the queen to my first P. rastellata which will hopefully eat it.
And the mites, they seems to like the body more than the legs, maybe this is a clue?
The mites for bca? I have never seen any blood sucking mites on the body unless the worker is swarmed with mites
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SYUTEO

Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:07 am

It's actually very hard to raise BCA from queens, someone said it's best to brood boost them with pupae.

Polyrhachiskeeper

Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:48 am

the mites have swarmed the workers and not really the queens or brood, but they're gone now, sorta released them, got no hope they'd make it :(
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

Polyrhachiskeeper

Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:39 pm

Are they really hard to raise from a queen!? The hardest part of raising a queen from a mature colony is that their something i like to call, 'lazy queens'. Because i think they are accustomed of being groomed and fed by workers they're too lazy to lay eggs and care for them on their own. So you need brood and worker to make a succesful colony of them.
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:14 pm

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:39 pm
Are they really hard to raise from a queen!? The hardest part of raising a queen from a mature colony is that their something i like to call, 'lazy queens'. Because i think they are accustomed of being groomed and fed by workers they're too lazy to lay eggs and care for them on their own. So you need brood and worker to make a succesful colony of them.
More than just one worker. A lot of workers. My colony died with one queen and 50 workers. Also I think it may depend on what strand you have. For example, some invicta are more likely to be polygynos than others.

Polyrhachiskeeper

Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:40 pm

Really!? Did your colony die with 50 workers?! Was it BCA?
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii