Update again

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntChuck

Update again

Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:46 pm

Well my 2 queen Tetramorium Immigrans experiment ended in failure once again. When they moved test tubes the queens became seperated and as I prophesized this created actual issues not only with the queens becoming aggressive towards each other but workers actually fighting. One queen was clearly the loser with a leg missing so I was forced to forcefully evict her. Thanks to brood boosting my colony is in the 1-2 thousand range and unfortunately also contains around 50 elates.

I purchased the AC outworld and they are using extensively. If you buy one please be sure the bottom is sealed completely when using it for smaller species... Luckily for me my set ups are in a room on a detached garage so foraging workers isn't a major issue.

The queen I removed I placed in a AC tower that had been inhabited by a previous colony that perished so tunnels were already present to the bottom. Strangely enough despite being a few feet away workers made their way to the tower and although they couldnt get inside around 10 or so were congregating just underneath the queen there in the water basin. Maybe some unfinished business perhaps lol.

At any rate I am giving up on my dreams of a multi queen colony of this species... too much heartbreak lol.
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Tetramorium Immigrans
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Update again

Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:16 pm

AntChuck wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:46 pm
Well my 2 queen Tetramorium Immigrans experiment ended in failure once again. When they moved test tubes the queens became seperated and as I prophesized this created actual issues not only with the queens becoming aggressive towards each other but workers actually fighting. One queen was clearly the loser with a leg missing so I was forced to forcefully evict her. Thanks to brood boosting my colony is in the 1-2 thousand range and unfortunately also contains around 50 elates.

I purchased the AC outworld and they are using extensively. If you buy one please be sure the bottom is sealed completely when using it for smaller species... Luckily for me my set ups are in a room on a detached garage so foraging workers isn't a major issue.

The queen I removed I placed in a AC tower that had been inhabited by a previous colony that perished so tunnels were already present to the bottom. Strangely enough despite being a few feet away workers made their way to the tower and although they couldnt get inside around 10 or so were congregating just underneath the queen there in the water basin. Maybe some unfinished business perhaps lol.

At any rate I am giving up on my dreams of a multi queen colony of this species... too much heartbreak lol.
Maybe make a journal on your expierments…

Also, I have a tip. Using pieces of cork, make a multi chamber nest, allowing workers in one half and queens in the other. Use white vinegar to remove a queen nest scent, and introduce her. This might work, as people have temporarily created multi species colonies doing this
When you accidentally reply to yourself…