I need help with my Camponotus parius colony.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

JaydenScheepers

Re: I need help with my Camponotus parius colony.

Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:09 pm

AntsInMB wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:05 pm
Ya probably, unless she removed them
What do you mean? Who removed who?
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:42 am

I'm sorry if all these updates are getting annoying and maybe I'm looking at this a bit too deep, but my queen decided to take some brood with her and go live in a corner of the out world. The out world I have for them is literally just supposed to be a feeding place and garbage disposal place for them, and it consists just of a plastic container, no substrate. So I don't know what her moving there means, also if someone has an answer to all the mysterious worker deaths, I would appreciate as suggestion. Do ants have civil wars as well?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:44 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
I'm sorry if all these updates are getting annoying and maybe I'm looking at this a bit too deep, but my queen decided to take some brood with her and go live in a corner of the out world. The out world I have for them is literally just supposed to be a feeding place and garbage disposal place for them, and it consists just of a plastic container, no substrate. So I don't know what her moving there means, also if someone has an answer to all the mysterious worker deaths, I would appreciate as suggestion. Do ants have civil wars as well?
Not ants that are single queened. I have had one civil war in an invicta colony where workers turned on each other.

No worry, but maybe make a journal to update everyone ;)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:38 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Not ants that are single queened. I have had one civil war in an invicta colony where workers turned on each other.

Alright. It must have been so scary when the workers turned on each other.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:16 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

Especially when the infertile queen almost(alate that shed wings) almost got to the fertile queen. I separated them, and found a way to introduce them back to each other, and added 2 queens from wild colonies. My journey of Solenopsis invicta 4 queen colony has been a long one. Haven’t heard of long term success of invicta in my area(with multiple queens). The colony is much better now, and has at least 100x the brood they originally had. And now, reproductives with only a few thousand workers.

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:40 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Especially when the infertile queen almost(alate that shed wings) almost got to the fertile queen. I separated them, and found a way to introduce them back to each other, and added 2 queens from wild colonies. My journey of Solenopsis invicta 4 queen colony has been a long one. Haven’t heard of long term success of invicta in my area(with multiple queens). The colony is much better now, and has at least 100x the brood they originally had. And now, reproductives with only a few thousand workers.
[/quote

It's nice to hear their ok. I'm currently raising four queens together, I believe they are Pheidole parva. Was your infertile queen trying to assassinate the fertile one?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:45 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

[/quote

It's nice to hear their ok. I'm currently raising four queens together, I believe they are Pheidole parva. Was your infertile queen trying to assassinate the fertile one?
Yes, the fertile queen became “less dominant”

JaydenScheepers

Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:49 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

[/quote

That's very wierd, a queen that can't contribute to the colony at all can become more dominant than the very queen keeping the colony going. Who is now the dominant one, do you know? And which other colonies do you have?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:53 pm

Also Solenopsiskeeper, how do I distinguish Solenopsis from all the other small similar looking ants like Pheidole parva?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:28 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:49 pm
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

That's very wierd, a queen that can't contribute to the colony at all can become more dominant than the very queen keeping the colony going. Who is now the dominant one, do you know? And which other colonies do you have?
No, but i theorize the infertile queen is still up their on the queen dominance pyramid.

I keep
Camponotus floridnaus
Camponotus socius
Formica subsericea
Pheidole obscurithorax(second biggest pheidole in Florida)
Pheidole Floridana
Pheidole megacephala
Brachymyrmex obscurior
Odontomachus ruginodis
Odontomachus hasmatodus
Solenopsis invicta
Tetromorium caldarium
Myrmica spp
Unknow sp.

I found

Odontomachus spp x28
Pheidole megacephala x2
Dorymyrmex bureni x9
Formica archboldi x1
Camponotus discolor x1
Camponotus Floridanus x3
Crematogaster sp.x1
Brachymyrmex obscurior
Brachymyrmex p x1
Trachymyrmex septrionalis x2

Pheidole are typically smaller, and for their ant Solenopsis, Pheidole usually have much square like heads. If you ever are unsure, just post something in the ant ID forum!