I need help with my Camponotus parius colony.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

JaydenScheepers

I need help with my Camponotus parius colony.

Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:40 pm

I made them a new nest recently from autoclaved aerated concrete (AAC). However they don't like it, their test tube is dirty, so they have decided to live in the tubing that connects the test tube to the nest. Two workers died yesterday, and I'm really starting to worry about the precious colony of mine.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Re: I need help with my Camponotus parius colony.

Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:43 pm

https://imgur.com/gallery/JE0FR8z

This is the link to the image of the setup for my colony.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:48 pm

In the mean time, what I'll do is separate the test tube, hoping they won't go inside. Then I'll clean is and try to get my colony to try and move back into the test tube. Maybe their not ready for a nest, or I just did a bad job.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:41 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
I made them a new nest recently from autoclaved aerated concrete (AAC). However they don't like it, their test tube is dirty, so they have decided to live in the tubing that connects the test tube to the nest. Two workers died yesterday, and I'm really starting to worry about the precious colony of mine.
Do they have pupae? I would let them live in the tubing, as long as you have a way of feeding them. My ants did the exact same thing when I introduced an outworld with 5 workers, I let them chill. As long as you can keep track of workers and the queen, you are alright.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

JaydenScheepers

Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:14 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:41 am
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Do they have pupae? I would let them live in the tubing, as long as you have a way of feeding them. My ants did the exact same thing when I introduced an outworld with 5 workers, I let them chill. As long as you can keep track of workers and the queen, you are alright.
Yes they have pupae, their already removed. I did want to risk any more deaths, I think next time I will just give them substrate and give them the option of making their own nest.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:14 pm

Ah now I understand. I moved my colony to a out world, still connected with a tube connector. And once again they moved into the tube connector, I believe this is because the tubing has less space inside than the test tube so they feel more comfortable there. However since they are so far away form the water source I'm scared they won't be able to properly hydro-regulate the brood.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:49 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Ah now I understand. I moved my colony to a out world, still connected with a tube connector. And once again they moved into the tube connector, I believe this is because the tubing has less space inside than the test tube so they feel more comfortable there. However since they are so far away form the water source I'm scared they won't be able to properly hydro-regulate the brood.
Don’t worry, the brood will be okay, some C. Floridanus keepers don’t even water theirs, but out tubes of water in the outworld. Brood is regulated by workers “spit”
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

JaydenScheepers

Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:50 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:49 pm
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Don’t worry, the brood will be okay, some C. Floridanus keepers don’t even water theirs, but out tubes of water in the outworld. Brood is regulated by workers “spit”
Oh, ok. Also, my workers have to be killing each other, it's the only way I can think of all these dead workers showing up. I found another dead worker. I don't get why they would be killing each other.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:57 pm

Also just a quick question about black crazy ants. I have been led to believe that black crazy ant queens can make exact clones of themselves and the males they mated with, so elates within the colony can mate in side the colony without having to worry about inbreeding. With that in mind is it possible that there can be a egg laying queen in the colony with her wings still attached?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

AntsInMB

Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:05 pm

Ya probably, unless she removed them