I need help with my Camponotus parius colony.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

JaydenScheepers

Re: I need help with my Camponotus parius colony.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:14 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:28 am
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:49 pm
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:45 am

That's very wierd, a queen that can't contribute to the colony at all can become more dominant than the very queen keeping the colony going. Who is now the dominant one, do you know? And which other colonies do you have?
No, but i theorize the infertile queen is still up their on the queen dominance pyramid.

I keep
Camponotus floridnaus
Camponotus socius
Formica subsericea
Pheidole obscurithorax(second biggest pheidole in Florida)
Pheidole Floridana
Pheidole megacephala
Brachymyrmex obscurior
Odontomachus ruginodis
Odontomachus hasmatodus
Solenopsis invicta
Tetromorium caldarium
Myrmica spp
Unknow sp.

I found

Odontomachus spp x28
Pheidole megacephala x2
Dorymyrmex bureni x9
Formica archboldi x1
Camponotus discolor x1
Camponotus Floridanus x3
Crematogaster sp.x1
Brachymyrmex obscurior
Brachymyrmex p x1
Trachymyrmex septrionalis x2

Pheidole are typically smaller, and for their ant Solenopsis, Pheidole usually have much square like heads. If you ever are unsure, just post something in the ant ID forum!
Alright thanks, keep a close eye on that cheeky infertile queen. Dam that's a lot of ants you found, why does everyone keep finding so many alates? I must be the most unlucky person when it comes to this stuff. Is there any website I can view your ants in?
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:15 am

I do not have a website, but no, this season has been terrible to me. Usually, more Camponotus are flying here, and Odontomachus that I catch are invasive so… I have caught 3 non-invasive Odontomachus. I also did buy a couple of ant colonies…. All the Camponotus colonies I bought in winter, Camponotus socius being the rarest, and all Becuase of the fact I am impatient and got tired of the invicta expierments(I have records that I threw away of things I did to invicta, including merging, forcing polygyny, accidentally causing monogyny, etc. It was one way to get rid of invicta on an acre of land.

Here is my formiculture journals, I don’t have many

Here
Check out my Camponotus socius journal!
https://www.formiculture.com/topic/18253-floridaant%E2%80%99s-camponotus-socius-journal/
Also, Check out my Florida Carpenter Ant Journal!(Camponotus floridanus, and Camponotus tortoganus+Camponotus discolor!)
https://www.formiculture.com/topic/18543-florida-carpenter-ant-journalthree-species/[URL2]
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

JaydenScheepers

Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:59 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
I do not have a website, but no, this season has been terrible to me. Usually, more Camponotus are flying here, and Odontomachus that I catch are invasive so… I have caught 3 non-invasive Odontomachus. I also did buy a couple of ant colonies…. All the Camponotus colonies I bought in winter, Camponotus socius being the rarest, and all Becuase of the fact I am impatient and got tired of the invicta expierments(I have records that I threw away of things I did to invicta, including merging, forcing polygyny, accidentally causing monogyny, etc. It was one way to get rid of invicta on an acre of land.

Here
https://www.formiculture.com/topic/18253-floridaant%E2%80%99s-camponotus-socius-journal/
Also, Check out my Florida Carpenter Ant Journal!(Camponotus floridanus, and Camponotus tortoganus+Camponotus discolor!)
https://www.formiculture.com/topic/18543-florida-carpenter-ant-journalthree-species/[URL2]
Alright thanks, I am impatient as well. Wondering the streets of my village every day hoping to come across a pair of termite alates or ant dealates, I have roughly mapped out several colonies and their locations in my head. Another thing is that I hear some people say that the Tetraponera rufonigra (arboreal bicolored slender ant) is rare l, but I've seen at least 3 big colonies, and there may be more.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:50 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Here
Alright thanks, I am impatient as well. Wondering the streets of my village every day hoping to come across a pair of termite alates or ant dealates, I have roughly mapped out several colonies and their locations in my head. Another thing is that I hear some people say that the Tetraponera rufonigra (arboreal bicolored slender ant) is rare l, but I've seen at least 3 big colonies, and there may be more.
Most “rare” ants are one of two things

Limited by ecological requirements

Limited by urbanization

If a place has the first one and not the second, you will likely find more of the rare ant than usual.

JaydenScheepers

Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:58 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Here

Limited by urbanization

If a place has the first one and not the second, you will likely find more of the rare ant than usual.
If ants appreciate something, they slice open the pupae of their young and eat them!?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:18 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:58 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

Limited by urbanization

If ants appreciate something, they slice open the pupae of their young and eat them!?
No. My colony just does that, just sarcasm :lol:

JaydenScheepers

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:04 pm

Now I'm starting to wonder if my C. parius colony is eating their pupae behind my back.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:07 pm

You brood boosted with different species, their the same genus, but if their not the same species won't they just try and kill each other?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:14 pm

My C. parius colony has a wierd thing going, the queen is in the ytong nest with 3 workers caring for her, and the rest with all the brood is in the tube connector at the test tube. I don't know why the queen is in the nest but the brood aren't, but I plan on remaking the nest entirely and hopefully they'll like it. I have measured the thickness of the queen's gaster, that that's about 0.4 mm so I'll make the entrances about 0.5 to get the smallest possible entrances.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:29 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:07 pm
You brood boosted with different species, their the same genus, but if their not the same species won't they just try and kill each other?
On accident, I gave Camponotus innequalis brood to my Camponotus Floridanus, which are two very similar species, only innequalis having longer heads. To brood boost you need similar species.