I need help with my Camponotus parius colony.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: I need help with my Camponotus parius colony.

Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:40 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:43 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:22 am
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:46 am
Do you make sugar water just by mixing sugar into boiling water? And if so are there any ways I can make it more nutritious for my ants.
You don’t need to boil. Just mix sugar and water until it dissolves.

Here is this written by myrmecologist
“ A completely defined synthetic diet for ants has been invented by Ettershank (1967). Diets and several mass culturing techniques for various ant species have been reviewed by Carney (1970). We employ the Bhatkar diet (Bhatkar and Whitcomb, 1970), which is prepared as follows:

Ingredients: l egg 62 ml honey 1 gm vitamins 1 gm minerals and salts 5 gm agar 500 ml water

Dissolve the agar in 250 ml boiling water. Let cool. Mix 250 ml water, honey, vitamins, minerals and egg until smooth with egg beater. Add to this mixture, stirring constantly, the agar solution. Pour into petri dishes to set (0.5 to l cm deep). Store in refrigerator. The concoction fills the bottoms of 15-cm diameter petri dishes, and is jelly-like in consistency.

Most insectivorous ant species thrive on this diet when fed three times weekly along with fragments of freshly killed insects, such as mealworms (Tenebrio), cockroaches (Nauphoeta), and crickets offered in small quantities. If the ants are also predators, they do especially well when allowed access to bottles containing Drosophila cultures, preferably flightless mutants. Alternatively, the Drosophila adults can be frozen and sprinkled onto the foraging arenas for the ants to discover”

Drosophila is fruit flies btw

This book is a very good resource on antwiki. I recommend skimming through bits of it. Much of my knowledge comes from it or other Antkeepers

https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/The_Ants_Chapter_20
I never heard of agar before.
Neither have I. That is copy/pasted
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

JaydenScheepers

Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:07 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:40 pm
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:43 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:22 am

You don’t need to boil. Just mix sugar and water until it dissolves.

Here is this written by myrmecologist
“ A completely defined synthetic diet for ants has been invented by Ettershank (1967). Diets and several mass culturing techniques for various ant species have been reviewed by Carney (1970). We employ the Bhatkar diet (Bhatkar and Whitcomb, 1970), which is prepared as follows:

Ingredients: l egg 62 ml honey 1 gm vitamins 1 gm minerals and salts 5 gm agar 500 ml water

Dissolve the agar in 250 ml boiling water. Let cool. Mix 250 ml water, honey, vitamins, minerals and egg until smooth with egg beater. Add to this mixture, stirring constantly, the agar solution. Pour into petri dishes to set (0.5 to l cm deep). Store in refrigerator. The concoction fills the bottoms of 15-cm diameter petri dishes, and is jelly-like in consistency.

Most insectivorous ant species thrive on this diet when fed three times weekly along with fragments of freshly killed insects, such as mealworms (Tenebrio), cockroaches (Nauphoeta), and crickets offered in small quantities. If the ants are also predators, they do especially well when allowed access to bottles containing Drosophila cultures, preferably flightless mutants. Alternatively, the Drosophila adults can be frozen and sprinkled onto the foraging arenas for the ants to discover”

Drosophila is fruit flies btw

This book is a very good resource on antwiki. I recommend skimming through bits of it. Much of my knowledge comes from it or other Antkeepers

https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/The_Ants_Chapter_20
I never heard of agar before.
Neither have I. That is copy/pasted
I expected sugar to be inside the recipe, but I guess that's in the honey.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:30 pm

Would Camponotus parius or any other ant colony I keep for that matter collect seeds?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:20 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Would Camponotus parius or any other ant colony I keep for that matter collect seeds?
Mine don't.

JaydenScheepers

Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:49 am

SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Mine don't.
When I put yeast in their out world to see what they would do, they just took it all and put in inside their test tube.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:10 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Mine don't.
When I put yeast in their out world to see what they would do, they just took it all and put in inside their test tube.
Alright so I put some small seeds on a tinfoil layer in the out world, and immediately within discovering it they started unloading the seeds and put it under Thier water feeder (I disconnected the test tube and put a water feeder in their out world). It started with one worker going back and forth with the seeds until it was eventually five workers all working together.

To me this is some strange behavior, maybe their trying to get the seeds out of the way, or their storing it. Whatever it may be I can only guess, but of they are indeed storing it for later consumption then I could buy them some different kinds of seeds.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:17 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

Mine don't.
Alright so I put some small seeds on a tinfoil layer in the out world, and immediately within discovering it they started unloading the seeds and put it under Thier water feeder (I disconnected the test tube and put a water feeder in their out world). It started with one worker going back and forth with the seeds until it was eventually five workers all working together.

To me this is some strange behavior, maybe their trying to get the seeds out of the way, or their storing it. Whatever it may be I can only guess, but of they are indeed storing it for later consumption then I could buy them some different kinds of seeds.
'

They may think they are pebbles, and really light ones. I would love to see if they crack them or simply wait for them to germinate by putting them in a moist area

JaydenScheepers

Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:23 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

'

They may think they are pebbles, and really light ones. I would love to see if they crack them or simply wait for them to germinate by putting them in a moist area
I'll keep out a close eye on them and what they do with it. It should be a lot easier for me to show better pictures of them in the future, because I intend to buy them s nice nest and out world from Wakooshi, the current out world is small and the flueon makes it a bit hard to see inside.

I will also make a journal as soon as I figure out how to post pictures directly here, I'm sick of having to link my pictures and only do it if I really need to.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:01 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

'

I'll keep out a close eye on them and what they do with it. It should be a lot easier for me to show better pictures of them in the future, because I intend to buy them s nice nest and out world from Wakooshi, the current out world is small and the flueon makes it a bit hard to see inside.

I will also make a journal as soon as I figure out how to post pictures directly here, I'm sick of having to link my pictures and only do it if I really need to.
If you are on a computer this will help, and will still help if you are on mobile

https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=15092&p=93629#p93629

JaydenScheepers

Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:24 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:01 am
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

'

If you are on a computer this will help, and will still help if you are on mobile

https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=15092&p=93629#p93629
This I have figured out a while ago(And by "I figuring it out" I mean you already sent me this before witch was a massive help so thanks btw, and also another thanks for sending it again trying to help), that's by obtaining the URL from google. I want to get the URL from images in my gallery, however I don't know how to do that. I now understand that just in the gallery it doesn't have a URL link, a URL gets created by posting it somewhere in the internet as I understand. But if I post it on some place like imgur and I copy it, the link will be the photo located in imgur if that makes sense, not the URL.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1