I need assistance with my Pseudoneoponera.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

JaydenScheepers

Re: I need assistance with my Pseudoneoponera.

Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:51 am

Maybe I can brood boost my queen with two antenna. I could snatch a egg from my queen with one antenna (she won't be happy with it) and give it to my other one. Could it encourage her to start laying?
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:42 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Maybe I can brood boost my queen with two antenna. I could snatch a egg from my queen with one antenna (she won't be happy with it) and give it to my other one. Could it encourage her to start laying?
It may work, but the likelihood is that the queen who receives and egg views it as a tasty snack
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:09 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
It may work, but the likelihood is that the queen who receives and egg views it as a tasty snack
Oh I see, I wish it wasn't so risky putting them together, it feels like a waste of her potential just looking at her sitting there in her test-tube. Hopefully she'll start soon.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:37 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Oh I see, I wish it wasn't so risky putting them together, it feels like a waste of her potential just looking at her sitting there in her test-tube. Hopefully she'll start soon.
No worry, it may take her a bit to gestiate eggs. My queen took almost 4 weeks to even start laying eggs, and I checked on her once a week.

Semi-claustral queens sometimes decide that they want to lay eggs, and then instantly eat them for no apparent reason. Not sure why this happens, and I have caught several queens who do this. I got one to get mature larvae, but she died of mold I didn’t notice.

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:52 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

No worry, it may take her a bit to gestiate eggs. My queen took almost 4 weeks to even start laying eggs, and I checked on her once a week.

Semi-claustral queens sometimes decide that they want to lay eggs, and then instantly eat them for no apparent reason. Not sure why this happens, and I have caught several queens who do this. I got one to get mature larvae, but she died of mold I didn’t notice.
I am watching my Odontomachus queen like a hawk, the second I see signs of a mold outbreak in their test-tube I will take action. There's been several small mold outbreaks in her out world.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:01 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

I am watching my Odontomachus queen like a hawk, the second I see signs of a mold outbreak in their test-tube I will take action. There's been several small mold outbreaks in her out world.
Usually they will move the brood away, and cover it with sand, but my queen didn’t. All this year’s seasons queens cover mold with sand

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:55 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:01 pm
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Usually they will move the brood away, and cover it with sand, but my queen didn’t. All this year’s seasons queens cover mold with sand
Her out world doesn't have any sand, only soil that I ordered, I'm scared the sand or soil I grab out of my backyard might have bad parasites.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:59 pm

https://imgur.com/gallery/ti7tuuU

This is the substrate in her out world.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:30 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:

I just use sand because I am blind and can’t see them otherwise :lol:

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:39 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:30 pm
JaydenScheepers wrote:

I just use sand because I am blind and can’t see them otherwise :lol:
I don't know what kind of sand will be the absolute safest to use.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1