I need assistance with my Pseudoneoponera.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

JaydenScheepers

I need assistance with my Pseudoneoponera.

Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:56 pm

I have a Pseudoneoponera ant, gamergate I'm sure. She layed 4 eggs all on a period of a few weeks, none of them have hatched and she recently ate one. What my question basically is, how do I ID her exact species so I can try and find out how long incubation for eggs usually are. I've tried researching it with only the genus, but to no avail.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: I need assistance with my Pseudoneoponera.

Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:36 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
I have a Pseudoneoponera ant, gamergate I'm sure. She layed 4 eggs all on a period of a few weeks, none of them have hatched and she recently ate one. What my question basically is, how do I ID her exact species so I can try and find out how long incubation for eggs usually are. I've tried researching it with only the genus, but to no avail.
When formiculture is back up(later today probably) take a look at this journal. It could be helpful…
https://www.formiculture.com/topic/15498-leos-ant-journal-pheidole-odontomachus-strumigenys-carebara-meranoplus-pseudoneoponera/
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

JaydenScheepers

Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:06 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:36 am
JaydenScheepers wrote:
When formiculture is back up(later today probably) take a look at this journal. It could be helpful…
https://www.formiculture.com/topic/15498-leos-ant-journal-pheidole-odontomachus-strumigenys-carebara-meranoplus-pseudoneoponera/
Thanks, awesome looking place. As I scrolled through, I saw he had a Cataulacus, and I just felt grief thinking of mine. However it looks like he had the same problem as I did, for some reason mine never layed eggs. I had her for a few days, but she was always on or around the exit cotton. None of my other ants behaved like that, my pheidole parva queens would be huddled together on the cotton with the water, but that makes sense as they need to drink.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:36 am

I'm not sure if my Pseudoneoponera is a queen or a gamergate, for this genus it is confusing because some species in this genus run on a queen system, or gamergate system, and some can have both as I understand. However when I research this genus the workers look the same as the one I have, however mine might have wing scars, but I'm really bad at spotting wing scars. Anyway, I was fairly certain mine was a gamergate until I saw Leo's Pseudoneoponera from the link you sent me, and he called her a queen, and once again she looked the same as mine does, so I'm so confused. I could take her out and take as detailed photos of her as I possibly can and take time to look for fine details on her, but I don't want to stress her too much and I certainly don't want her to eat another egg.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:44 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
I'm not sure if my Pseudoneoponera is a queen or a gamergate, for this genus it is confusing because some species in this genus run on a queen system, or gamergate system, and some can have both as I understand. However when I research this genus the workers look the same as the one I have, however mine might have wing scars, but I'm really bad at spotting wing scars. Anyway, I was fairly certain mine was a gamergate until I saw Leo's Pseudoneoponera from the link you sent me, and he called her a queen, and once again she looked the same as mine does, so I'm so confused. I could take her out and take as detailed photos of her as I possibly can and take time to look for fine details on her, but I don't want to stress her too much and I certainly don't want her to eat another egg.
People do things like that all the time.

For example, I say Formica Fusca is in North America. Realistically, they are a similar species only different through genetic testing.

Can you post a link to a photo?
Here is a queen, some parts of the wings are still attached.
Last edited by SolenopsisKeeper on Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

JaydenScheepers

Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:46 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

For example, I say Formica Fusca is in North America. Realistically, they are a similar species only different through genetic testing.
I don't understand your point.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:48 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

Post edited, I don’t know if his species has a queen. On anwtiki there is only one caste. It’s does look like a queen though.People may call gamergates queens though, as no one calls queens “dealates” or any other scientific names(Yes dealates are queens without wings)

JaydenScheepers

Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:55 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Post edited, I don’t think his species has a queen. People may call gamergates queens though, as no one calls queens “dealates” or any other scientific names(Yes dealates are queens without wings)
Oh, thanks for clearing that up, however calling a gamergate a queen is a bit misleading, especially if the genus have actual queens.

I don't know why, but I will call a queen a dealate, until she lays eggs from which point I will call them queens, but I think they would still be scientifically be referred to as dealates.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:58 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:55 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

Post edited, I don’t think his species has a queen. People may call gamergates queens though, as no one calls queens “dealates” or any other scientific names(Yes dealates are queens without wings)
Oh, thanks for clearing that up, however calling a gamergate a queen is a bit misleading, especially if the genus have actual queens.

I don't know why, but I will call a queen a dealate, until she lays eggs from which point I will call them queens, but I think they would still be scientifically be referred to as dealates.
Scientifically, they are. Just most antkeepers don’t stick to it after they have workers.

You’ll say “Oh! It’s a Camponotus dealate, nice find!”

But you don’t say “Let’s dig up these boys and find the Camponotus dealate”

JaydenScheepers

Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:01 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

Can you post a link to a photo?
Here is a queen, some parts of the wings are still attached.
I can take I photo of her right now, however I can use natural light since it is currently dark, and I find natural light works better. I'm also annoyed, because I ordered a macro lense so I can take detailed photos of my ants, but that thing it literal garage.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1