I need assistance with my Pseudoneoponera.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: I need assistance with my Pseudoneoponera.

Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:05 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:01 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:44 am
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:36 am
I'm not sure if my Pseudoneoponera is a queen or a gamergate, for this genus it is confusing because some species in this genus run on a queen system, or gamergate system, and some can have both as I understand. However when I research this genus the workers look the same as the one I have, however mine might have wing scars, but I'm really bad at spotting wing scars. Anyway, I was fairly certain mine was a gamergate until I saw Leo's Pseudoneoponera from the link you sent me, and he called her a queen, and once again she looked the same as mine does, so I'm so confused. I could take her out and take as detailed photos of her as I possibly can and take time to look for fine details on her, but I don't want to stress her too much and I certainly don't want her to eat another egg.
People do things like that all the time.

For example, I say Formica Fusca is in North America. Realistically, they are a similar species only different through genetic testing.

Can you post a link to a photo?
Here is a queen, some parts of the wings are still attached.
I can take I photo of her right now, however I can use natural light since it is currently dark, and I find natural light works better. I'm also annoyed, because I ordered a macro lense so I can take detailed photos of my ants, but that thing it literal garage.
Try getting closer with the lense. Also, try to have a light background with no camera zoom. Macro shots need really good lighting. My lense only works when close.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

JaydenScheepers

Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:07 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:44 am

People do things like that all the time.

For example, I say Formica Fusca is in North America. Realistically, they are a similar species only different through genetic testing.

Can you post a link to a photo?
Here is a queen, some parts of the wings are still attached.
I can take I photo of her right now, however I can use natural light since it is currently dark, and I find natural light works better. I'm also annoyed, because I ordered a macro lense so I can take detailed photos of my ants, but that thing it literal garage.
Try getting closer with the lense. Also, try to have a light background with no camera zoom. Macro shots need really good lighting. My lense only works when close.
Ok I'll try that, for the macro lens should I activate the pro option in the camera app or just leave it at normal?
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:09 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

Ok I'll try that, for the macro lens should I activate the pro option in the camera app or just leave it at normal?
I don’t use the same app as you, so kind of experiment for a bit, see what you get best results with.

One thing you can look for on the ant is the ocelli. In most genera, queens only have oceli
Last edited by SolenopsisKeeper on Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

JaydenScheepers

Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:10 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

I don’t use the same app as you, so kind of experiment for a bit, see what you get best results with.
Alright, I just use the default camera app on Android.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:13 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

One thing you can look for on the ant is the ocelli. In most genera, queens only have oceli
Is "ocelli" those three light sensitive eyes on top of the heads if queens?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:32 am

https://imgur.com/gallery/1xk1iYX
Those are photos I just took of my Pseudoneoponera, my macro lense vs my phone's camera. However I do have a older side view on the same account that I think captures a bit more detail than the one I took just now did. And no I did not see any clear signs of ocelli, but to be fair light levels weren't the best.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:04 pm

https://imgur.com/gallery/6PNhIUW
I caught a different Pseudoneoponera looking for termites for my Camponotus parius colony, and luckily this one had both antenna l :D. I could swear I saw wing marks of both sides of her thorax, I couldn't see a peace of the wing, however I did see marks where the wings would have been if she had them, I tried capturing it on my camera, but couldn't quite do it. I gave her a worker termite in hopes that the extra protein would encourage her to start the egg laying process. However when she came in contact with the termite she sprayed foam at the termite, and some got on her water cotton. It this stuff toxic, and how to I clean it so she can safely start raising brood?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:05 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
I caught a different Pseudoneoponera looking for termites for my Camponotus parius colony, and luckily this one had both antenna l :D. I could swear I saw wing marks of both sides of her thorax, I couldn't see a peace of the wing, however I did see marks where the wings would have been if she had them, I tried capturing it on my camera, but couldn't quite do it. I gave her a worker termite in hopes that the extra protein would encourage her to start the egg laying process. However when she came in contact with the termite she sprayed foam at the termite, and some got on her water cotton. It this stuff toxic, and how to I clean it so she can safely start raising brood?
I think some ants actually can intake their own poison. Would have to follow up on that though.

JaydenScheepers

Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:31 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:05 pm
JaydenScheepers wrote:
I think some ants actually can intake their own poison. Would have to follow up on that though.
Alright, I'll see if I can find something about it.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:09 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
This one definitely looks like a queen!

Foam spraying is a trait across almost if not all Pseudoneoponera species and one species of Pachycondyla, the spray it when they feel scared or threatend and it's created by the atrophication of the Dufour's gland mixed with venom gland proteins and air.