I need assistance with my Pseudoneoponera.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: I need assistance with my Pseudoneoponera.

Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:31 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:15 pm
Good point maybe she is nocturnal, but I wasn't trying to catch her in the out world. I was looking for changes within the out world to suggest she did something.
Ahh. That makes more sense now, sorry for misunderstanding. Changes are very minimum, unless she drags prey to the nest. You also may notice distinct looking sand grains that she has moved somewhere… one thing to do is actually make prey easy for her to carry back to the nest, then you will see some food disappear.

Also, to make her move on her own, just put a test tube that has some moist substrate, and a small opening relative to her size
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

JaydenScheepers

Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:42 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Good point maybe she is nocturnal, but I wasn't trying to catch her in the out world. I was looking for changes within the out world to suggest she did something.
Ahh. That makes more sense now, sorry for misunderstanding. Changes are very minimum, unless she drags prey to the nest. You also may notice distinct looking sand grains that she has moved somewhere… one thing to do is actually make prey easy for her to carry back to the nest, then you will see some food disappear.

Also, to make her move on her own, just put a test tube that has some moist substrate, and a small opening relative to her size
Indeed I am looking for food to disappear, and some substrate in the nest or forming a more narrow entrance into the nest. Although last time I didn't have substrate, I'll show you the setup I have her in when I figure out how to send proper pictures onto the forum. I usually feed her small termites, workers I always keep alive when feeding my ants so they still have the experience of hunting in the wild. However I always pre-kill the majors and super majors.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:46 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

Indeed I am looking for food to disappear, and some substrate in the nest or forming a more narrow entrance into the nest. Although last time I didn't have substrate, I'll show you the setup I have her in when I figure out how to send proper pictures onto the forum. I usually feed her small termites, workers I always keep alive when feeding my ants so they still have the experience of hunting in the wild. However I always pre-kill the majors and super majors.
Do majors in your species spit “acidic glue”? Otherwise, it should be fine, but nothing can go wrong with pre killing them. I kill mine by picking them up, the soft bodies are always harmed in my hands(Sorry termites)

JaydenScheepers

Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:00 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Do majors in your species spit “acidic glue”? Otherwise, it should be fine, but nothing can go wrong with pre killing them. I kill mine by picking them up, the soft bodies are always harmed in my hands(Sorry termites)
There is actually a big colony of those termites in my area, they gather in huge quantities in the tree they nest in, and every now and then I see them doing these huge raids ( I'm glad I'm not a plant ).

The termites in my area are pretty diverse, and there are many termite mounds. We have those dark colored acidic termites, we have fungus growing termites, and we have wood eating termites. I actually caught a pair of alates, which I believed to be fungus growers, but to my disappointment they died. They dug a nice founding chamber and everything, however I think the mistake I did was making it too moist.

I usually feed my ants the wood eating termites, because I can get to them without having to destroy a part of their mound. Therefore having minimal damage done, but sometimes I feed them some of the fungus growers and they usually have nice big and beefy workers, they also have really big super majors. I crush the head of the super majors because I don't want those big jaws injuring my ants. However I may keep the small majors alive just to give my ants a challenge. Kind of like practicing for the big prey, who knows if my colonies get big enough, maybe I'll start feeding them the super majors alive and see how they deal with it.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:18 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

There's Coptotermes in my area that spit a white sticky liquid (and possibly also end up killing themselves).

JaydenScheepers

Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:21 am

SYUTEO wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

There's Coptotermes in my area that spit a white sticky liquid (and possibly also end up killing themselves).
That's wierd, a defense that kills yourself.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:37 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

They're not the only insects that do this though, some other termites and some species of Colobopsis also does this.

JaydenScheepers

Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:46 am

SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

They're not the only insects that do this though, some other termites and some species of Colobopsis also does this.
I know, I heard there are a species of ants that explode.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:33 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

One of my Camponotus Floridanus workers barfed up all his food and died in the tube(This happend to be when I was “attacking”

JaydenScheepers

Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:17 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:33 am
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

One of my Camponotus Floridanus workers barfed up all his food and died in the tube(This happend to be when I was “attacking”
What a way to go :shock:
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1